Thinking about a Expedition with a big camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foodog2

Reaction score
I currently have a 30’ Airstream weighing 7,600 and 900 tongue. I tow it with a 2500 truck but it’s a bit much as a daily driver. I am thinking about a 21 expedition with the tow package. It’s well within the towing weight but tongue is at the max. I might take one or two trips a year couple hundred miles Max the camper stays in a permanent camp sote.

Seems like with the sumo Springs and a sway bar I would probably be fine with a good hitch setup. Or am I an idiot

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep the 2500 for towing that load. I'd just get a daily driver car instead. You'd get better gas mileage anyway.

Deep8174

Reaction score
I have a similar weighing TT with 900 lbs hitch weight indicated on the spec sheet. The manufacturer says it is based on all tanks being full and other dealers indicating that it is actually 750, but I will confirm in the coming days when I have a chance to weigh it. It seemed to tow well when I first got it with little sag so I'm skeptical on the 900.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends I would say how many are you going to have in the Expy? How much extra pay-load weight? If it's no more than 4 and you keep the remaining cargo smartly loaded into the trailer you should be fine. Upgrade the sway bars, add some sumo spacers and become very familiar with using the local cat scale and get the weight dist hitch dialed in perfectly. Couple times a year, for sure, go with the Expy as a daily driver. This is exactly where I'm at and why I haven't upgraded to a F250. Don't want a big truck as my daily driver. Properly dialed in set up wise you'd be just fine.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you would be fine with a Max and proper WDH setup. I suggest going to a scale and verifying the tongue weight. Also, sometimes there are things you can do to get the tongue weight down, like a lighter or rear-mounted battery, lighter hitch, shifting belongings rearward, etc. The tongue weight is obviously a concern because of the suspension and axle limits, but your total weight is fine. If you can get the tongue weight down to within manufacturer specs, you should be ok, especially for short trips. Maybe trying renting an HD Tow equipped Expedition Max from Turo and try a short trip.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure it's possible, but I also think you'd be maxing out every spec on the Expedition. A loaded camper could easily top 9000lb+, frontal area is probably at least 60sqft, and a loaded vehicle with passengers and a 900lb tongue weight could easily push you over the ~1700lb payload.

If you're only going short distances a couple times a year and not hauling a lot of gear, it would probably be fine. If you're going long distances with full passengers and gear, I would not be comfortable pushing the limits, if that were my family. Just my $0.02.

I'm sure you've seen Ford's Towing guide, but pasting it here just for reference: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_Expedition_Dec3.pdf

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even though with the max tow package that gives me 9,200 lbs towing I would only pull around 7,500 to 8,000 max. Wife and I have been looking at some travel trailers in that range.

OP
OP
F

foodog2

Reaction score
Depends I would say how many are you going to have in the Expy? How much extra pay-load weight? If it's no more than 4 and you keep the remaining cargo smartly loaded into the trailer you should be fine. Upgrade the sway bars, add some sumo spacers and become very familiar with using the local cat scale and get the weight dist hitch dialed in perfectly. Couple times a year, for sure, go with the Expy as a daily driver. This is exactly where I'm at and why I haven't upgraded to a F250. Don't want a big truck as my daily driver. Properly dialed in set up wise you'd be just fine.
It would be two adults and two 5 year old grandkids sometimes. We travel light for the most part

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be two adults and two 5 year old grandkids sometimes. We travel light for the most part
The Expedition would fit the bill just fine with that payload. Just learn to use a CAT scale and take the time to dial in the weight dist hitch. Once you do that, you'll see how to pack the trailer just right keeping the majority of the cargo in the trailer not in the truck. But yeah, Expy would be just fine for your needs.

OP
OP
F

foodog2

Reaction score
The Expedition would fit the bill just fine with that payload. Just learn to use a CAT scale and take the time to dial in the weight dist hitch. Once you do that, you'll see how to pack the trailer just right keeping the majority of the cargo in the trailer not in the truck. But yeah, Expy would be just fine for your needs.
I weighed the truck a few times so I know how to do the cat thing. My only real concern is managing the tongue weight. I have never adjusted or set up the WD hutch myself though. Always had a dealer do it. I will figure it out.