Thinking about a Expedition with a big camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I towed a 7500 lb TT out west this past summer. It was 28’ long. My Expy is the shorter model. Hellwig sway bars and Sumo spring spacers. I never felt like it was too much.
Stability control was great. Trailer braking was great.
Power? No sweat. The ease at which this 3.5 turbo pulled it through some high mountain passes was actually shockingly impressive.

Get a good WDH, and set it up correctly, and you will be just fine.
It’s a towing beast.

ccssid

Reaction score
I weighed the truck a few times so I know how to do the cat thing. My only real concern is managing the tongue weight. I have never adjusted or set up the WD hutch myself though. Always had a dealer do it. I will figure it out.
Yes . The best thing you can do for yourself.....is NOT let the dealer set up your WD hitch.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I weighed the truck a few times so I know how to do the cat thing. My only real concern is managing the tongue weight. I have never adjusted or set up the WD hutch myself though. Always had a dealer do it. I will figure it out.
Took me a good year to dial mine in. Ultimately when I got to the CAT scale and realized I wasn't transfering enough weight onto the front axle was when it got dialed in. I'm using an Equalizer 10,000lb set up and have all the washers in the adjustments meaning I'm pushing as much as I can with this WDH. After going to the CAT and realizing my true tongue weight and such I put my camper on a diet. I ditched the two 30lb propane tanks I was taking, now I take just one 20lb tank unless I need two which is only during winter or the rare occasion I'm dry camping like in the smokies and need more gas for the generator. I got rid of my heavy grill and now have a light weight one and moved some heavy items from the forward storage to within the camper over the trailer axles. I went from a 950-1000 pound tongue weight to now at around 780 which is where I want to be for my 27' trailer (factory spec is 760). It's usually just the wife and I and two dogs. I no longer bring a heavy cooler in the vehicle, now just a small one for the day's needs. All these mitigation tactics made a huge difference in how the set up feels when towing. My Expy is old, 2010, but I've put new beefier coilovers, sumo spacers, Helwig sway bars, new tires, and trailer on a diet. Now it feels great. Took a while, but finally it's where it needs to be.

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMG_6259.JPG

My Expedition had no trouble towing or stopping this camper. Guessing in the 7200 lb range with the front AC and 2 full 30 lb tanks. Got home and son in law re-adjusted the Equalizer hitch and I aired up the rear tires to 65 psi. Raised the rear and threw more weight to the front axle. Estimated hitch weight at 1000 lbs. Payload on my Expy is 1769 lbs. and its usually just me and the wife. Told her this is not like the 41' fifth wheel we had with a dually pulling it!!

GWK1

Reaction score
I am confused (it happens a lot lately) about the use of Sumo Springs or similar product mentioned in the post about towing a 30' Airstream. My trailer is that length and approximate weight when fully loaded. My concern after weighing several times at the CAT scales, the rear drive axle is at or very near the limit GAWR. So wouldn't the same weight be on the drive axle with or without the Sumos? Thanks.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am confused (it happens a lot lately) about the use of Sumo Springs or similar product mentioned in the post about towing a 30' Airstream. My trailer is that length and approximate weight when fully loaded. My concern after weighing several times at the CAT scales, the rear drive axle is at or very near the limit GAWR. So wouldn't the same weight be on the drive axle with or without the Sumos? Thanks.
Yes. The only common use case I can think of is towing a boat, which I've been informed tend to have lower tongue weights (so no WDH needed). The sumo springs aren't needed if weight is distributed properly between front and rear axles. Some people want a stiffer rear, but sumo springs shouldn't be used as a substitute for a WDH.