Thinking of a 2022/2023 Expedition XLT or Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyboy74

Reaction score
Hi everyone. The time has come as I have a growing family and am now in the market to consider moving from a Jeep Grand Cherokee to 3 row suv. I really like what I've been seeing with the Expedition XLT and think it could be a good fit. At the same time, there are some things I like about the Limited. I have driven Ford vehicles in the past and opted to go to Jeep on the most recent suv. One must for me is that I would need 4 wheel drive due to being in the snow belt. I would not need the MAX version in either case.

A few questions I wanted to ask you all in here:
1) How has reliability been on the Expeditions in general?
2) Are there any known trouble spots that I should keep in mind?
3) How has the 4 wheel drive performed?
4) Would the Limited trim be worth an upgrade over the XLT?

Any other information that you think may be helpful is appreciated.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1) the expy is actually pretty reliable despite what it seems like on the forums. To get a more reliable suv this size, you'd need to go older sequoia, and maybe armada. But they aren't as nice as the expy(actually the armada is nicer inside, but has worse tech and less space). With that said, there are things to look out for, which this forum is really good at pointing things at.

2) for this gen, the biggest thing is cam phasers, which shouldn't be a problem for post 21s, and transmission, which seems like a toss up over 50k. For brand new post refresh, the biggest issues seem to be electronic implementation. Small nagging issues like power boards and windows and screens seem to be the problem. However, the biggest issue for the post refresh for both 22 and 23 is the discontented features with no discounts. It's not as noticeable on xlts, but limited and up, you'll be able to tell right away.

3) can't speak on this as my prior expy and current nav are 2wd.

4) I honestly think the limited is a huge upgrade depending on what you want. If you want the features of the 202 level xlt, then grab a Limited. The difference In price btw the low level limited and high xlt is miniscule, but you get front sensors, better leather on seats and steering wheel*, better sound system, better interior materials.

Last edited:

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless it won't fit in your garage, I'd definitely consider getting the MAX - that extra storage room in the back is IMHO essential if you're going on a family trip somewhere. I've always gotten the longer version of any 3 row SUV I've ever had and in some cars it makes a huge storage difference.

Since I have a '12 - sorry - can't speak to your other questions.

KetMalice

Reaction score
For the love of god do not buy a 22. It’s a covid car and they are all falling apart a year into owning them.

Dustbunny

Reaction score
For the love of god do not buy a 22. It’s a covid car and they are all falling apart a year into owning them.
Really?! That's a broad statement to make. My 22 will be a year old on the 4th of June, and it is NOT falling apart. Other than the lights turning on by themselves 3 times, it has been a great truck. I think you'll find quite a number of others that haven't had major problems with theirs.

gripnrip

Reaction score
Purchased a used 22 limited 304a without CCD last month and everything has been fine. No tech removals and 17k miles so it was a bit of a gem to find. Really only issues identified after 2k miles is running boards will not stay deployed, warping front center speaker, some trim coming out….. I bought the extended warranty so will get all of this taken care of. Highly recommend the 22 max

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi everyone. The time has come as I have a growing family and am now in the market to consider moving from a Jeep Grand Cherokee to 3 row suv. I really like what I've been seeing with the Expedition XLT and think it could be a good fit. At the same time, there are some things I like about the Limited. I have driven Ford vehicles in the past and opted to go to Jeep on the most recent suv. One must for me is that I would need 4 wheel drive due to being in the snow belt. I would not need the MAX version in either case.

A few questions I wanted to ask you all in here:
1) How has reliability been on the Expeditions in general?
2) Are there any known trouble spots that I should keep in mind?
3) How has the 4 wheel drive performed?
4) Would the Limited trim be worth an upgrade over the XLT?

Any other information that you think may be helpful is appreciated.

They are built on the same platform as the F150, so you’ll find they are fairly reliable. Most full size body on frame SUVs are built to handle more serious use than they are ever put through.
They won’t ride the same as your Jeep though. so definitely go on a long test drive. It’s not bad. Just different.
Ford’s issue with these is mostly tech and fit/finish. The engines are easily capable of 200k miles and they pull 8k lbs with relative ease. opt for CCD suspension if ride quality is too rough, I mistakenly didn’t and I kick myself every time I go over washboard dirt roads.
I’m in the north east. 4wd on these is great. Opt for the ELSD it does a great job and combined with the 2 speed transfer case and 4wd system you’ll be hard pressed to find something like this that’s better in the snow. I always upgrade my tires though. The crappy Hancooks or generals aren’t worth my family’s safety, so I put on Defender LTX and this truck is amazing all weather now.
Limited is worth the upgrade just for the residual, same with the trailer tow package. Even if you don’t need it, get it. Those two options hold their value.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tbh, the ride with ccd is still very competitive and overall are the more comfortable rides for 3 row suvs. To get a better ride, you will need to get the jeep or gms with air suspension. Most crossovers, though more carlike, aren't as nice riding hollistically.

KetMalice

Reaction score
Really?! That's a broad statement to make. My 22 will be a year old on the 4th of June, and it is NOT falling apart. Other than the lights turning on by themselves 3 times, it has been a great truck. I think you'll find quite a number of others that haven't had major problems with theirs.
Look at all of the service bulletins. Lol spoiler spikes puncturing the roof, transmissions leaking fluid, a new service bulletin just released for the transmission for a different issue. 2 separate service bulletins that burn up transmissions.

The dealerships acknowledge the 22 Expeditions have major problems. Ford overall just ranked dead last in 22 reliability.

Dealerships won’t submit items to warranty because Ford will do chargebacks on them. During Covid Ford changed the way service at dealerships works. Ford hired auditors to go through and look at warranty work that was already done, if the dealership didn’t write a doctoral dissertation on the problem the auditors flag it for chargeback. How do the auditors get paid you ask? Commission off of chargebacks. What has that done to service you ask? Dealerships are gun shy about submitting things to warranty for fear of a chargeback, labor and materials.

Runnnnn

Last edited: