Thinking of installing a Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow muffler – Pros & Cons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
My problem with the Flowmaster and most other aftermarket mufflers is that they quickly rot out. Why do you think Ford's OEM stainless muffler costs $600? It lasts for 25 years. A Flowmaster I bought rotted out in two. The skin peeled off it.

If you want the thing to sound like a souped up Honda, why not just take the back of a claw hammer to the OEM muffler or drill some holes until it makes the noise you want? Cheaper, more horsepower, easier and more permanent. Old Skool stuff we did on Ramblers. With some luck, the exhaust vales will float from the loss in back pressure and it will add pops, backfires and shooting flames from the tailpipe too. All for free.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far – so good, no headaches yet. Will be on a 4-5 hour drive in a few days so we’ll see if the exhaust gets tiresome. I doubt it though for me; I like hearing the engine and the shifts probably in much the same way pilots might appreciate being able to hear their engines while flying ( have no idea if they actually do, but if I were a pilot I’d want to hear those engines too!... )

I have a Toyota 4Runner with a Flowmaster 40 series on it ( previous owner installed ) and it’s loud as hell but I’ve grown to like it...strangely.

not a pilot, but I've spent hundreds of hours in military aircraft, mostly helicopters. generally far too noisy to go without ear protection. for what we were doing, i had to talk to the pilot and the crewchief in the helicopters, but that was only possible through the headsets. don't know how much he (or she) enjoyed the engine sound.
I do like to hear the engine in my car/truck/Expedition, though, which is why I'm reading through these forums.

Davew72

Reaction score
My problem with the Flowmaster and most other aftermarket mufflers is that they quickly rot out. Why do you think Ford's OEM stainless muffler costs $600? It lasts for 25 years. A Flowmaster I bought rotted out in two. The skin peeled off it.

If you want the thing to sound like a souped up Honda, why not just take the back of a claw hammer to the OEM muffler or drill some holes until it makes the noise you want? Cheaper, more horsepower, easier and more permanent. Old Skool stuff we did on Ramblers. With some luck, the exhaust vales will float from the loss in back pressure and it will add pops, backfires and shooting flames from the tailpipe too. All for free.

Thats odd Ive had Flowmaster exhaust on a couple vehicles for 12-14 years and never had any rotting or etc.

cwharding

Reaction score
Likewise. I'm a Flowmaster fan and have been installing Flowmaster products for 25 years on my own vehicles and have never had a muffler rust out. Even the full kits from Flowmaster have always lasted a crazy long time. The only mufflers/exhaust that I've ever had to replace because of corrosion was the older factory stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oaisdghfopuasdbnv