Third Cam Phaser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindini36

Reaction score
Hello out there.

I have a 2018 Ford Expedition Max Limited. We purchased the car in 2020 with approx 50k miles on it. At 52K miles the Cam Phasers were replaced due to a recall. Fast forward to today.. with 95K miles we were told the Cam Phasers were throwing an error and of course are 4 months out of warranty. Has anyone else had to replace their Cam Phasers a SECOND time?
Full disclosure - we have a Tune on the Expo and have upgraded both the inter cooler and the air intake. I do have fun with the extra HP .. not sure that would matter .. but felt the need to mention.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve had them replaced twice. The first time was before they did the major redesign of the phasers, and those failed in about a year. The second time used the newest part number. So far so good, but it’s only been a few months.

OP
OP
M

mindini36

Reaction score
Mine were supposed to have been replaced with the new version. But 45k miles later we are getting an code for them. I have noticed a little shudder when driving. It is just extremely frustrating that they have to be replaced a second time.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are several folks on here that, as your post title sounds like, have actually required three or more phaser replacements. Presumably before the redesign, but I'm not sure I truly believe in that either. I mean Ford essentially just guaranteed huge future services revenue by send us all letters saying you need to replace this, and after such and such time it will no longer be covered by any warranty :).

OP
OP
M

mindini36

Reaction score
Sounds exactly like what is going on. Considering we got the new design and it didn’t last 50k miles. It is really disappointing. I moved from the Infiniti QX56 which I was planning on driving until it died and it had no issues with 140K miles on it. To this …. Sucks. But I do love the expo…

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my first replacement a month ago and it sounds like crap after a month later. Wastegate issues and loud valves

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my first replacement a month ago and it sounds like crap after a month later. Wastegate issues and loud valves
Same! My cold start wastegate rattle is much worse weirdly immediately after my phaser replacement. The rattle is even present when I blip the gas on accell and decell (had the exhaust/heat shields checked and not that) Its so embarrassing. The engine is also quiet one second then it would sound louder the next and you can hear the metallic knocks/valves etc.. This will be my last Ford. I knew once the engine is opened up and some random noob ford mechanic is working on it it all eventually goes to crap soon after and when you bring this stuff up you are told "thats normal sounds" Yea... BS!

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had my 2018 Cam Phasers replaced 2nd time at 74k miles. I purchased an extended Ford warranty on my truck when new. The repair was covered under warranty. Interestingly, the service invoice shows that a different prefix part number was used for the phasers, which appear to correspond to 2021 F-150 3.5L engine. Have not had the opportunity to ask my dealer regarding the part number. My truck is running well and is quiet on start up.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had my 2018 Cam Phasers replaced 2nd time at 74k miles. I purchased an extended Ford warranty on my truck when new. The repair was covered under warranty. Interestingly, the service invoice shows that a different prefix part number was used for the phasers, which appear to correspond to 2021 F-150 3.5L engine. Have not had the opportunity to ask my dealer regarding the part number. My truck is running well and is quiet on start up.
Might be the New Upgraded style phasers that will last much longer or forever....