Third Cam Phaser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changing your oil is more important now than ever. Google Zinc in engine oil and you’ll see there is less of it than ever in today’s oil. It’s been proven that it hurts the catalytic converters, especially the high efficiency cats cars after the mid 2000’s have so it’s being reduced year after year. The problem with this is Zinc or or better known as the ZDDP package additive to the oil helps with crush strength so the parts like connecting rods, timing chains, lifters that have heavy on off pressures applied are more easily damaged if you don’t change your oil often. Use todays oil and treat even the best car we all neglected that lived 20 years ago with it and you’ll see something fail as well. There’s no saving the Ford cam phasers since that’s just a bad design but the latest part is very good and totally re designed. Changing the oil on almost any new car now at 5000 max seems to be the best bet. I know many people in this forum ask well than why does ford say to change it when the indicator goes to zero percent which is around 8-10k miles but most car companies always want people to feel the car is care free and stretch things out as far as possible. Also remember some Lincoln’s have free maintenance so by the parent company recommending stretched out intervals saves them a huge amount of money on free services.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have trained my wife to hold the gas and brake upon starting for 3-5 seconds to get the oil pumped to the top of the engine before she takes her foot off the gas to let it start. Shouldn't have to do this, but figure it can't hurt
I always use a Motorcraft Oil filter as they have the anti-drain back valves to help prevent dry starts.
The ones with the S like the FL-500S have the anti-drain back valves that are made of silicone which provide greater cold/heat resistance.
From Ford:
  • Pressure relief valves help maintain supply of oil to the engine under extreme cold conditions or if the filter gets clogged.
  • Location of relief valve in the majority of Ford application filters prevents settled debris from entering and potentially damaging the engine.

lurch

Reaction score
All screw-on oil filters will have an anti-drain back valve. Some will be better than others but it will be there.

PMGENEROSO

Reaction score