Third Row Seat Fold Button Addition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blaclion

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

My wife just recently upgraded her 2018 Expedition limited to a 2021 Expedition Platinum. One feature she was hopeful to see (but disappointed to not find) was the addition of a button or buttons in the front to fold the rear third row down without having to go to the back of the vehicle.

Has anyone experimented with adding some buttons or using some kind of code generated in the OBDII Port to fold down and up those third row seats from
The front? I’m wondering if I could just piggyback off the wiring from those buttons, and run a set of new buttons up to the column between the first and second row on the drivers side. Make them in series so that either button set would work.

thoughts? Feedback?

thanks!

stimul8

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Expy also. Just got it in Sept. This is just ONE of the design flaws I’ve noticed on this vehicle, but your post makes me wonder how easy it should’ve been for them to run a wire to a switch to the dash. This is something that shouldn’t have been overlooked, considering the vehicle’s price point.

Other things I’ve noticed:
* Door handle sensors don’t always work to lock/unlock the vehicle. After exiting, sometimes it won’t lock, and just wants to keep unlocking
* Seems they put just barely enough carpet, but the edges don’t tuck very well under the door sill covers. Makes me think “cheap”
* Auto start/stop feature is unpredictable. I can go through long and short drives, or the same local route to the kids’ school every day. Some days the engine will shut off at a stop, other days it won’t. This is under same temperature conditions, no A/C running, etc. that would demand extra effort from the engine.

I miss my F150. Everything in it had a purpose and worked perfectly for 10 years before I traded it in for this thing that has so many electronic features, but wasn’t well thought out or implemented well. Sigh.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should work but the switches would be in parallel, in series both switches would be needed to operate seats. Just noticed this is an old thread from April of '21. Were you able to make it work?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 03 navigator has this feature with buttons on the driver side in "front" of the 3rd row as well as the typical rear location and it has come in handy a few times. I've seen it on 1 other 03 expedition as well. Maybe a peek at how they did the wiring, finding a diagram would give you an idea if you haven't already found a solution.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
* Auto start/stop feature is unpredictable. I can go through long and short drives, or the same local route to the kids’ school every day. Some days the engine will shut off at a stop, other days it won’t. This is under same temperature conditions, no A/C running, etc. that would demand extra effort from the engine.
You can pull up the auto start/stop display in your instrument cluster and it will tell you why it's not shutting off (vehicle charging, climate control, ambient temp, etc).

Try this button.
That folds the third row headrests, but not the seats.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious when you would want to fold the 3rd rows while sitting your azz in the drivers seat?

I don't haul many people in mine, so I rarely use the 3rd row seats...