This forum is talking me out of buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More I read about trans issues, shocks, cam phasers, and the dvd being subpar, it just makes me not want to drop the coin on this. I already have a junky van people swore was good.

I don’t even know what I want now. GM stuff isn’t known for reliability and I’ve watched family get burned by them. The Toyota offering is outdated and doesn’t seem to have the space in back I want.
Just a frustrating situation.

Last edited:

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The guys complaining about the trans are very few. Mine is hands down the best trans I've EVER driven.
The shocks are only problems on the lower end models. They can be bought at any parts store on the corner, so parts aren't that hard if you go outside of Ford.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, if this forum concerns you enough not to buy, I STRONGLY recommend you don't go on ANY more forums about ANY future vehicle purchases.
Rule of thumb to consider is that forums are where 1-5% of owners (at best) actually post comments and even then only if they are having issues. They're mainly looking to find solutions they can handle themselves.
So, don't let a sample size of a couple hundred issues out of HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of vehicles on the road dissuade you from buying a great new vehicle.

OP
OP
D

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh I’M on many forums. Cars are a hobby of mine. Just a lot of serious flaws that ford doesn’t seem to have solved three years in. This isn’t a high volume vehicle so it’s not like this is a small number of camry owners. I didn’t see this much concern on Honda sites before I bought that pile.

Did just see a mention of a cam phaser rework on the 2020. Any confirmation on that?

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, let me add at least one experience of buying a 2019 Expedition where I've had nothing but 8k miles of smiles. We love it and haven't had any issue except wishing we'd sold our Escalade sooner and got this Expedition sooner.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You roll the dice with any vehicle you purchase. That really hasn't changed. So far this one has been ok. Had an electrical gremlin early that needed fixed (transmission wouldn't shift out of park), but after a software update was ok. The strut issue does p@#$ me off though. I'll be swapping those out...and I don't consider a fully loaded Limited Max to be a "low end" model.

Still, my last full-sized SUV purchase was a loaded 2015 Yukon XL that GM bought back from me in less than 30 days and replaced it with a 2016 identical model. The second one was flawless.

Just goes to show that with all the technology in the name of safety, efficiency, and entertainment there is just a lot of stuff to go wrong on these vehicles.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So don't buy, lease. Lots of advantages in leasing. The main disadvantage is hearing nothing but garbage from people who don't fully comprehend it.

Last I read, just over 30% of new vehicles in the US are leased. Can't wrap my head around leasing used, but evidently thats a thing, too.