Throttle Body how to clean-best to remove?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have a 2016 Expy with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Idle began moving around a few months ago and it doesn’t always let me crawl along when backing up like it did a year ago. Dealer said throttle body and MAF cleaning for $495. I said I’ll do it.
Problem is that I’ve yet to find a video with my specific engine. I’d like a nice idiot proof step by step on how to get to the throttle body and how to remove it for cleaning. Now if removing it is risky (has to be perfectly realigned or something) then I’ll leave it on the engine.
I just thought it would be better to scrub it off the engine rather than having the junk head toward the turbos and cylinders.

MAF cleaning looks simple. I know some have removed a vacuum tube but I haven’t a clue as to which tube looking thing that might be.

I have the CRC throttle body cleaner.

Help!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have a 2016 Expy with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Idle began moving around a few months ago and it doesn’t always let me crawl along when backing up like it did a year ago. Dealer said throttle body and MAF cleaning for $495. I said I’ll do it.
Problem is that I’ve yet to find a video with my specific engine. I’d like a nice idiot proof step by step on how to get to the throttle body and how to remove it for cleaning. Now if removing it is risky (has to be perfectly realigned or something) then I’ll leave it on the engine.
I just thought it would be better to scrub it off the engine rather than having the junk head toward the turbos and cylinders.

MAF cleaning looks simple. I know some have removed a vacuum tube but I haven’t a clue as to which tube looking thing that might be.

I have the CRC throttle body cleaner.

Help!

That price is ********

A replacement throttle body costs 130 (refurb) to 260 (new), and a MAF is like 60 bucks.

Btw this is what i managed to find in <60 seconds of googling.

As to how to DIY it, take apart the air intake plastics from the air filter on, the piece of pipe with a conmector on the side is the MAF, and the metal thing all that shit goes into with the metal circle on a swivel is the throttle body.

If it has what looks like massive deposits of thick coal tar or epoxy, you might actually have to remove it and get serious (or just replace the damn thing)... otherwise, just spray and wipe

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$495, are you sure they weren’t going to replace the throttle body? If so I would never return to that place and would certainly request to speak to the highest service manager and explain why I would not be returning.

Adieu’s pricing is a bit high. Here is a brand new one for $108.
https://www.partsmaven.com/ford/oem-parts/ford-throttle-body-bl3z9e926b/?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz1lbmdpbmUtcGFydHMmaT1NVTA3MjAxNSZyPWxheWVyXzIyJmE9Zm9yZCZvPWV4cGVkaXRpb24meT0yMDE2JnQ9ZWwteGx0JmU9My01bC12Ni1nYXM=

They are cheap enough I have thought about buying a spare to keep in the truck because there have been a number of reports of the TBs going out already on these 15s and above leaving folks stranded. Some folks have let them sit and it will run again to get them where they need to go and die again.

I have the roaming idle a bit myself. So I am going to clean mine as well in a couple weeks when I am doing all my other stuff I do at 50k.
Cleaning is simple just remove each part and spray clean with the proper cleaner.
Be a little more careful with the MAF and don’t do a hard direct spray on the sensor itself.
Let them dry really good and reinstall.

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ll try pulling the plastics off the TB and spraying it on the car. The MAF sensors look easy. Hopefully this’ll take care of the idle fluctuations. Santa Margarita Ford in Orange County CA is the place that quoted me $495. I forgot to mention that did include an air filter. Replacing the air filter was very easy.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ll try pulling the plastics off the TB and spraying it on the car. The MAF sensors look easy. Hopefully this’ll take care of the idle fluctuations. Santa Margarita Ford in Orange County CA is the place that quoted me $495. I forgot to mention that did include an air filter. Replacing the air filter was very easy.

An air filter is like $8 lol

Adieu’s pricing is a bit high.

My point exactly, that was the first crap that popped up on Google. Digging deeper usually saves a bunch of money

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I cleaned the MAF sensors next to the air filter and next to the throttle body. Pulling the intake tube off the throttle body was pretty simple. At some point I’ll Google how to get the plastic engine cover off and get to the 3rd MAF sensor.

Had a brief scare when the dash display disappeared. I disconnected the ground from the battery, left it off for a minute and now it’s all better.

Seems to be idling smoother and I was able to back up the driveway in 4L like it did a year ago.

Removing the oil cap and pulling up and foward is all that it took to remove the cover.

This video helped with the MAF sensors.

Last edited:

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to find a shop that really knows how to use today's "top-of-the-line" scan tools (with live data) and look at short and long term fuel trims and other data related to idle quality.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to find a shop that really knows how to use today's "top-of-the-line" scan tools (with live data) and look at short and long term fuel trims and other data related to idle quality.

Pretty sure you can view that with generic chinese crap