Thump noise when braking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JL216

Reaction score
2020 makes a “thump” noise when braking. Usually happens when you are going 35/40mph and braking to about 15/20. The noise only happens one time during the braking it is not continuous. Brought the truck to the dealership and they machine the rotors, made a little bit of a difference but still did it. Wondering what it could be any help would be much appreciated. Have a video of the noise as well if that would help.

Plati

Reaction score
2020 makes a “thump” noise when braking. Usually happens when you are going 35/40mph and braking to about 15/20. The noise only happens one time during the braking it is not continuous. Brought the truck to the dealership and they machine the rotors, made a little bit of a difference but still did it. Wondering what it could be any help would be much appreciated. Have a video of the noise as well if that would help.
any golf balls rolling around in back?
sounds like a joke but happens ....

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

You may have one or more brake pads that are sticking, and not sliding properly on the pins - due to lack of lubrication on the slides - or a bad spot that causes the pad to stick, then release with a “thump” when you apply the brakes.

By machining the rotors, your dealer has made them thinner and they will warp or wear-out faster.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Does Ford use the spring clips on the pads? If so, could it be missing one?

JimW

Reaction score
I hear this (one time while slowing down) also but I was thinking it may be the truck backfiring when slowing down/downshifting. Seems like I hear it coming from the driver's side rear. I didn't/don't think it would be the brakes??

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does Ford use the spring clips on the pads? If so, could it be missing one?
When I installed new rotors and brake pads on my 19 Expedition there are NO spring clips like the F150s have. They just sit free in the slides.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My guess is it could be the old 5 to 4 downshift thumping/hard shift I’m experiencing. I’d say take note of the gears you’re in and shifting to and it’s possible as you reach the lower speeds you’re downshifting in to a certain gear that is causing the thumping.

Others in the forum have had this issue with the 5-4 shift and apparently there is a fix within the transmission. I’m just tired of going in the shop so I’m waiting.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FordTechMakuloco means a thump just like this coming from the center support of the rear differential. The bushing wears out and allows the support to shift when the vehicle goes from acceleration to braking and vice versa.

You may also have a u-joint issue. When you change from acceleration to braking, the driveline "torque" can cause the angles and alignments to change.

OP
OP
J

JL216

Reaction score
Was diagnosed as the transmission output and ting ring needed to be greased. There is a Ford bulletin about this I was told.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was diagnosed as the transmission output and ting ring needed to be greased. There is a Ford bulletin about this I was told.

I figured it was transmission. I have the exact same issue when down shifting but am just waiting for an oil change to have it repaired.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360