1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ticking in Motor

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by Ben Marshall, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Ben Marshall

Ben Marshall Member

2009 Expedition Limited
    4x4

Otherwise pretty good shape:
    One day it ran quiet, the next there’s a ticking/knocking noise coming from the motor. Most noticeable at idle. It’s at regular intervals like as a belt or something is turning.
    I thought maybe bad gas or oil but I’ve run injector cleaner through and had a full synthetic oil change with additive. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp Full Access Members

Mike Shoulders likes this.
  3. 07navi

07navi Full Access Members

I would locate it first with a stethoscope or a piece of hose or even a long screwdriver up to your ear. . If its coming from one of the valve covers (usually the passenger side) I would check all the lifters and rockers and make sure the cam is still good. I would put a real oil gauge in it also since these motors need good pressure, especially by the time the oil gets to the right side. It could just be something on the belt but you need to locate it.

4. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 That One Member Supporting Member

Don’t run it again until you do some fast research. If it’s a roller rocker you want to inspect before it blows, it’s a $4 part that can ruin an engine by dropping a valve. As long at it still runs that hasn’t happened yet. Does it speed up with revs? If so that’s typical roller rocker. If it goes away with revs that’s timing set coming due for replacement, not as urgent but still coming in the next 3-4K miles.

5. 07navi

I agree, don't put it off.

6. Ben Marshall

Ben Marshall Member

Thank you for all the info. I’ll do some research based on that.
    To add to it... the noise gets louder the hotter the motor gets. Almost no ticking at startup when cold.

7. 99WhiteC5Coupe

99WhiteC5Coupe Full Access Members

What additive did you include with the oil change? Why?

What oil filter did you use? Did you use an OEM Motorcraft?

8. JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe Full Access Members

If it is quiet when cold, you might have a low oil pressure situation. Has this vehicle always used synthetic oil? Worse hot at idle. Maybe crud blocking oil to a lifter?

9. Ben Marshall

Ben Marshall Member

I used the Lucas High Mileage Oil treatment. I used it because.... well, just because. I don’t change my own oil so the filter used is the recommended filter from the quick lube.

Boose likes this.
  10. 07navi

Cheap filters sometimes don't have a good anti-drainback valve in them or none at all. That valve in the filter keeps the oil in the upper end so when you start it it doesn't have to refill the top end every time and it will make a ticking noise until it is pressurized. It sounds like a lifter, broken studs in an exhaust manifold, a loose spark plug, or a slapping timing chain and unless you know what it is it's hard to decipher between them. Most mechanics recommend a Motorcraft filter for these modular engines, no additives, and synthetic oil. I recommend changing your own oil so you know what you are getting and harm is not done to your truck. Novices at oil change stations can overtighten your drainplug, and a host over other things. I have heard of them switching trans and engine oils etc.

99WhiteC5Coupe likes this.