Ticking sound from 3.5L EB engine - is it just the high pressure fuel pump or something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a 2017 expedition with 85K miles. Can any mechanic here tell me if the dealership is being honest with me? I'm being told the noise in the video below is just normal noise from the high pressure fuel pump that is driven by the cam. They just replaced the cam phasers a couple weeks ago along with the timing chain at my request and I am worried something is not right here. But I know jack squat about these engines since I've only ever owned vehicles with V8 engines before. The dealership just told me that I have nothing to be worried about as far as the cam phaser or timing is concerned and this noise is 'completely normal' for these engines.

Clicking sound after engine idles down

I like this dealership. They seem to have been really above the board with me in the last month since I purchased this expedition and I want to keep using them for my service. They replaced the cam phasers on their dime even though I bought no extended warranty from them. And they also replaced 3 ignition coils on their dime as well when my check engine light came on a couple weeks ago. The local Ford dealer ships here aren't great, and this Lincoln dealership has been fantastic. So I'd like to continue using them if I can.

That said, I am a "trust but verify" kind of guy. So can I get some advice from any of you mechanics in this group? Is this noise in the video in fact just 'normal' noise from the high pressure fuel pump? Or do I need to ditch this dealership and go elsewhere to have this sound checked out?

Thanks!

herreraFAMof6

Reaction score
that's exactly how mine sounds. I don't think there is an issue. I have 81k and mine has sounded like that since the day I bought it {with 35k miles}. I have my exp regularly serviced with a ford tech and there has been no mention of any issue with this noise.

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
that's exactly how mine sounds. I don't think there is an issue. I have 81k and mine has sounded like that since the day I bought it {with 35k miles}. I have my exp regularly serviced with a ford tech and there has been no mention of any issue with this noise.
Thanks! I totally forgot about posting here. Just for other folks who may come here looking for an answer, I took the SUV to another mechanic for my own peace of mind. And they confirmed that that ticking sound is indeed the fuel pump. That said, they also told me that getting it checked out by a certified mechanic was the right thing to do here. There are a few things that can cause this noise, and it should be properly diagnosed to rule out the "bad" things. In my case, this sound is definitely caused by the fuel pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank1971