Timberline Sway Bar Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Expy Gator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting ready to get 17"s on my timberline. I think the 295/70/18s (34.26") look really good but in a 17" rim that same size 295/70/17 is 1" shorter and most do not make a 295/75/17. So I am debating from the following

295/70/17 33.26 x 11.61
or
305/70/17 33.81 x 12.01
or go skinnier with
285/75/17 33.83 x 11.22

I think with +25 offsets the 305s would not poke. The Sema Timberline has 35x12.50 with +25 offsets with no poke. At least judging by the pictures.
Personally, with those choices I would go the the 305's on the Timberline. It's already lifted and a 33.81 is not that large. When I move to 17's I will most likely run a 35x12.50. I have a 315/70/17 on my jeep and a 35x12.50x17 on my Raptor - I'll decide which of those I end up with when suspension options / body flares finally become available.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally, with those choices I would go the the 305's on the Timberline. It's already lifted and a 33.81 is not that large. When I move to 17's I will most likely run a 35x12.50. I have a 315/70/17 on my jeep and a 35x12.50x17 on my Raptor - I'll decide which of those I end up with when suspension options / body flares finally become available.

Thanks for your opinion. I think I am going to try the 305s. I ordered rims from Method today and will probably just get one tire mounted at Discount tire this way I can fully see how it looks mounted on one rim first. I think the 35x12.5 have the best look ratio (H to W) and want to make sure a 305 is not too squatty fat looking.

bettingsumo

Reaction score
The last thing I would want is 22" wheels - I do tow a trailer and wanted something that would be good in the sand off road but not like Jeep off roading. Really not many choices out there if you want a larger SUV, 8 passenger capacity and some off road capability. I looked at the Wagoneer, Tahoe, Land Rover and Sequoia but liked the Timberline better.
Exactly the same process that led me to buying my Timberline.

Expy Gator did you end up going with the Hellwig? If so, any feedback? About the only driving characteristic I don’t like about my Timberline is the pronounced side to side rocking while turning on uneven ground.

OP
OP
E

Expy Gator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly the same process that led me to buying my Timberline.

Expy Gator did you end up going with the Hellwig? If so, any feedback? About the only driving characteristic I don’t like about my Timberline is the pronounced side to side rocking while turning on uneven ground.
Yes I did go with Hellwig - It was very similiar to the existing rear bar on my Timberline both in diameter and weight. If I had to do it again I would first replace all the OEM bushings with HD urethane bushings before spending the money on a new rear bar.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I did go with Hellwig - It was very similiar to the existing rear bar on my Timberline both in diameter and weight. If I had to do it again I would first replace all the OEM bushings with HD urethane bushings before spending the money on a new rear bar.

So, you mean the Hellwig factory bushings are not HD urethane?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Neither necessarily mean it isn't any tighter. Stronger, and different composition of the metal can make all the difference. Also, does it have a slightly different shape at the end or different mounting points for the links? Did you feel a big difference over all?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, they are. He is I believe saying, that the upgraded bar might be very similar to the factory Timberline bar.

I read what he wrote again and agree with your conclusion. It looks Expy Gator believes the bushings function more than the bar when fighting the vehicle sway, which I can't agree with, honestly.

OP
OP
E

Expy Gator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went back and found some of my comments I shared with Hellwig:

The diameter of the Hellwig bar is 22mm and the OEM bar is 22mm

The weight of the Hellwig bar is exactly the same as the OEM bar - both indicated 10.6 lbs on my digital bathroom scale.

The Hellwig bar bolts to the end links in exactly the same manner as the OEM bar.

The Hellwig center bushings are approx 3” high the OEM bushings are approx 2” high.

These bars appear very similar so I was somewhat skeptical about any improvement - but I was pleasantly surprised - I don’t know if there is a difference in the steel or if the urethane center bushings you provided are much improved vs the factory rubber bushings? In any event it is cornering flatter than the OEM bar.

And note this is on a Timberline - I don't know the specs on a non Timberline Expedition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360