Time for new brakes, is there an upgrade from OEM for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 2017 4x4 XLT with HD tow package. It’s about time for new pads and am curious if there’s a pad I can get that will provide improved performance. I tow a ~6300# boat, have 2 horse trailer, and am considering some form toy hauler or travel trailer with the next couple of years. I did a quick search in here and didn’t find anything terribly relevant. Thanks in advanced.

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put power stop pads and rotors on the front of my 2015 and they seem to be working very well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I first picked up my '07, the installed pads were terrible. I felt like I had to stand on the pedal to get it to stop in a reasonable distance. I quickly switched to EBC pads Yellowstuff pads, and the performance improvement was great. The biggest issue was the dusting, as the Yellowstuff pads coated my wheels quickly in brake dust. I may try a different set once these wear out.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the slotted/crossdrilled Power Stop and EBC Yellow brake pads. Braking became so good I had to replace the front shocks from factory to heavy duty Bilsteins to keep the front end from diving down when hittting the brakes hard.

I replaced the factory brakes at 600 miles because I knew that aftermarket would be so much better.

Old Guy

Reaction score
I have a 2003, H/D tow package. I bought pads thru Blackrock which were listed as being better for towing. I tow a 8000# boat.
I don't have numerical data, but being a retired engineer, I can assure you that if it is noticeable by my wife, the difference is there. (Wife is very non-technical)

Oh. yes. They were only $20 per pair more than OEM grade.

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
The best thing you can do for trailer towing is to upgrade the brakes on the trailer. Or if towing a trailer without brakes to install them. I wouldn't tow over 3000 pounds without brakes on the trailer, not any distance or in much traffic anyway.

OP
OP
L

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I ended up getting the power stop z36 pad/rotor combo. Plan on getting them on this weekend.

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I ended up getting the power stop z36 pad/rotor combo. Plan on getting them on this weekend.

Let us know how you like them after you get some miles on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk