Time sert 5600 kit needed ... maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agentt3

Reaction score
2004 expedition 4.6 AWD blew a spark plug repair on number 2 driver side. I've read a bunch about repairs. I've done a helicoil repair on our old 2000 expy 4.6 awd:(, I've learned that was the wrong way to fix it.

So my problem is, should I do timesert 5600 or the lock n stitch?

The plug that blew out had a 3/4" insert around the plug and I think the timesert 5600 .77 is the biggest one there is out there.

Also I know a mechanic who said they have the snap on kit (I don't know anything about that kit).

I am wanting to rent the kit and can't find it anywhere to rent. I'm thinking about paying full price and re-selling after I'm done.
Anyone have the kit or know someone/ somewhere to rent or get it cheaper?

Please help , thank you's in advance !

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Agentt3

Agentt3

Reaction score
Update(9-16-2017)
Ford dealer told me $4,200 for a head swap all said an done. He had just quoted someone else about a single head swap. (Mine is passenger side head)

Mom an pop garage (James garage of Albany Oregon) told me he doesn't feel comfertable doing the head swap, and suggests swapping the whole engine because he's seen too many problems with people having head swaps (and or head gaskets) done. He quoted $5,200 for the engine swap all said an done. Not bad for a 0 mile engine, he said it comes with 3yr 30,000 mile warranty.

Now I'm trying to decide what's the next move.

Has anyone had an insert custom made bigger than 3/4"? I have a buddy whose a middle school shop teacher and has access to a lathe, I'm thinking about doing a 13/16 or 7/8 in threaded insert, and make my own tap that has a ledge to make a ledge for the insert to stop on.

I'm wondering what's the max size I can tap into the sparkplug whole without getting into the water jacket?

I also am wondering if I should done a hard aluminum billet insert vs steel insert?

Any help from machinist, mechanic, metlergist types would be much appreciated. :)

Agentt3

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would probably find a newer vehicle rather than invest 4-5 grand in a 13 year old vehicle. For $5000 and your trade in you probably could get a early 3rd gen if you look hard enough.

OP
OP
Agentt3

Agentt3

Reaction score
I like your idea, my problem is we're in contract for a new home that's being built. So we're not supposed to finance anything right now. And until the homes done and escrow closed, we have to make it work.

I do have an idea to make the bigger spark plug insert, but I can't find any info on doing one that big (13/16 or 7/8). I'm going to get a tap an die that's 7/8 and try to make it work in there before I do any rebuilding or replacing.

I'm also trying to trade or sell it on c-list but you know how that goes :/ "I'll give you $500 if you deliver it to my house" type people asking about it.

The expy is out family ride and we're down to my diesel hog 2001 f250. Which is nice to drive around but I'm racking up miles.

I will trying my rediculously big S.P. insert and hopefully that will fix it.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were me, I would probably find a newer vehicle rather than invest 4-5 grand in a 13 year old vehicle. For $5000 and your trade in you probably could get a early 3rd gen if you look hard enough.

He can get a 3rd gen for <5k & no tradein needed.... i got my '09 almost a year ago for $4600, and that was BEFORE the promise of an impending 4th gen further knocked prices down

Based on comparisons with a buddy's gen 2 navigator, interiors SHOULD swap over easy enough without modification after all.

So you can even get a barenekkid XLT or SSV and transplant any amenities you'd miss

Last edited:
OP
OP
Agentt3

Agentt3

Reaction score
Ok so, I fixed it.

Napa
$15 7/8" 14 Nf plug tap prt#T-111
$18 7/8" 14 Nf hex die prt#Th-219
$8 14mm -1.25 metric tap prt#T-248

Harbor freight
$25 big drill bit set of 8 total 1/2"-1"

Free
1/2 drill bit I had laying around :)

I also had a new coil and sparkplug (2
$20 off eBay) from when it first happened an I thought timesert cared about us.
They don't.
I made a 7/8" insert so their claim to have the biggest one out there is a bag of lies !!! Hahaha
I digress, I took a 7/8 bolt I got from our local farmers feed and tack joint called (coastal farm) for $2.18. Put in in my vice and squeezed it super hard, so it would'nt move. I cut off the threads, and went about threading it with my 7/8-14 NF. It was a PItA but I got it done, I had to use a pipe wrench so it wouldn't slip off the die when cutting. I had some sweat and a few curse words but I got it done.

Next was to drill out the center with a little 1/8" bit I had that was new. I stress the new bits because they cut kick ass and you don't have to worry while trying to keep your hole centered and true, also a bit of advice use your center punch. I did an I still went off center.
Then 1/2" drill bit to chase the hole out big enough to do the spark plug threads 14mmx1.25. This part was also tuff because you have to back out every couple turns and it's a blind hole so you have to clean it out often.

Also use lots of tap oil (cutting fluid) it helps everything inside or out.

After all that was done and I was satisfied with the depth of both inner and outer threads, I cut the insert off the rest of the big ass bolt I used, and I started checking an fitting the sparkplug to my homemade 7/8" insert. I had to wrestle some with it to get it to workout how I wanted but what I ended up doing is leaving a little of the threads not done at the top of the insert so it would stop inside the head, I did my best to match it with the depth of the one that got spit out(as show in pics).

After all that was done I welded a 3/8" extension to the end of the 13/16 drill I got out of my harbor freight set. Make sure it's as straight as you can possibly get it, this will help big time when your drilling. I used a swivel to get my drill to work inside the cramped engine compartment. It was interesting but the drill did its work easy like through the aluminum. I hit something that stopped my drill bit at the end of the hole, I'm hoping it's not a valve , I cranked the engine over by hand to make sure the piston was lower and to check if the thing I hit would move , if it was a valve it should have moved but didn't after I turned the engine A little.

Next I welded a 3/8" extension onto the back of the 7/8" tap. Make sure to weld it on super solid, not just tack it like I did. It broke off ...
in the engine...
while I was taping the hole...
Luckily I was done and I'm a wrench ninja and got the tap backed out with my fancy skills. (I was proud of myself , can you tell?)

Once the tap was free'd and I had all the shavings vacuumed out to my satisfaction, I slapped the insert in!
Also I used a ~7/8" hose and jammed it into the end of our dyson for inside the house, don't tell my wife. It sucked that hole dry, as in no mas el shavingsO

Be sure to use high temp thread locker on the OUTSIDE of the insert, and use anti seeze on the INSIDE of the insert for the spark plug. Otherwise you'll have a bad day when it comes time to change your sparkplugs.

So just to be clear I just fired up the expy for a couple minutes after I was done to see if it ran and wasn't spitting my insert out. I haven't driven it anywhere yet, but I am confident it will have no issues for the next 50,000 miles till it's new plug time again. I'll update later when I find out.

Here's a pic of the taps an die I got from Napa.
IMG_0859.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Agentt3

Agentt3

Reaction score
Both the tap and drill with extensions tacked on, I suggest you weld it all the way around and triple quardruple check to make sure it's straight it will make it easier for you.
IMG_0842.JPG
You can see how deep the drill bit went by the lighter color on the tip. IMG_0843.JPG
Mr. Drilly showing off his new length to the ol box pals.
IMG_0860.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Agentt3

Agentt3

Reaction score
You can see here the old threads getting cut off.
IMG_0586.JPG
Already threaded with my 7/8"-14 NF thread on the outside and getting the inside threaded.IMG_0588.JPG IMG_0590.JPG
IMG_0837.JPG
Comparing the old 3/4" insert to my homemade 7/8" insert on the right. IMG_0847.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Agentt3

Agentt3

Reaction score
There's the tap broke off down in the head, I used a 1/2 opened end wrench and a adjustable crescent to grab the square top you see there and turn it 1/4 turn at a time. ‍♂️S&@T sucked. IMG_0851.JPG
You can see the lighter part of the taps threads went just far enough. IMG_0852.JPG IMG_0854.JPG
Right before she went to her home forever (hopefully ‍♂️)IMG_0855.JPG IMG_0861.PNG
This last pic is the shavings inside the cylinder before I vaccummed it out.