Timing chain issues at 20k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wifes 2018 Navigator has like 19,000 miles on it. Its had cam phasers done 3 fn times already and yesterday it threw the timing code check engine light. The service advisor thinks Ford's gonna have to replace the entire engine this time! Unbelievable. They haven't seen it yet, so I hate to speculate, but those were his words.
OMG, this is getting absurd. At some point, this will need to become a class action suit or something, people simply can't waste this much time and likely this much money, think about, you buy a $65-85K vehicle (more if it's a navi), and you have to waste this much time and possibly money, hell, if these aren't under warranty, folks are out thousands. I'm floored... Damn, I just bought $1500 worth of cool parts to put on and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have and I should consider dumping this thing. Damn, I'm getting pissed, I just wrote an 8 page letter to the board of directors with similar feedback.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OMG, this is getting absurd. At some point, this will need to become a class action suit or something, people simply can't waste this much time and likely this much money, think about, you buy a $65-85K vehicle (more if it's a navi), and you have to waste this much time and possibly money, hell, if these aren't under warranty, folks are out thousands. I'm floored... Damn, I just bought $1500 worth of cool parts to put on and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have and I should consider dumping this thing. Damn, I'm getting pissed, I just wrote an 8 page letter to the board of directors with similar feedback.

We pushed the service appointment back a week or 2 because I told them they could keep it for 2 weeks then. What a pile of dog$hit. Its had all the cameras replaced, cam phasers, timing chains, tensioners 3 times, noise cancelation amp replaced, seats fixed, 3rd row seats fold fixed, radio speakers worked on, and a whole list of other BS I've forgotten.
Hands down the single biggest pile of $hit vehicle I've ever bought in my Life.

My 18 Expeditions been near flawless on the other hand.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We pushed the service appointment back a week or 2 because I told them they could keep it for 2 weeks then. What a pile of dog$hit. Its had all the cameras replaced, cam phasers, timing chains, tensioners 3 times, noise cancelation amp replaced, seats fixed, 3rd row seats fold fixed, radio speakers worked on, and a whole list of other BS I've forgotten.
Hands down the single biggest pile of $hit vehicle I've ever bought in my Life.

My 18 Expeditions been near flawless on the other hand.
Be thankful that your Expy didn't lock up the rear E-brake. I was stuck in a school parking lot last week and had to be towed to the dealer. The truck is still there after them changing the rear brake actuator and realizing that isn't the problem. They now have to change the ABS module. WTAF. Of course not under warranty (I have 122,000kms) but I guess it is what it is. On the bright side, they gave me a 21 Bronco Sport Badlands...in YELLOW.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Be thankful that your Expy didn't lock up the rear E-brake. I was stuck in a school parking lot last week and had to be towed to the dealer. The truck is still there after them changing the rear brake actuator and realizing that isn't the problem. They now have to change the ABS module. WTAF. Of course not under warranty (I have 122,000kms) but I guess it is what it is. On the bright side, they gave me a 21 Bronco Sport Badlands...in YELLOW.

BOTH of ours have 8 year 125,000 mile Ford Warrantees, so I'm not worried about that, but I'm just annoyed.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i’m just procrastinating @ 40k, probably for the same reason of not wanting to deal with it, even with the extended....

maybe there will be a class action & buyback right as the hybrid comes out!!! :-/