Timing job update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m about 2/3 through the job, and I’m glad I did it. Both tensioners were blown out.

Now going through the timing process, and I have a question. I went to tighten a cam phaser bolt and it started turning the engine. I did one full rotation so the crankshaft is back at 11:00, but now the chain marks are off (guessing this is normal as the engine turns). Since I don’t have the valve train installed yet, is there any harm in turning the engine backwards to get back to where I started, or should I pull the chains and retime the engine? I want to make sure I’m at TDC on Cylinder 1 so I don’t bend a valve on start up.

The fruits of my labors.
A146CDCE-CF4D-4653-8337-090F4E05BE1A.jpeg

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can turn it backwards, just don't turn it by the crank snout bolt. Impacts work better on things you don't want to turn also.

Typical blown out tensioners..ugh.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can turn it backwards, just don't turn it by the crank snout bolt. Impacts work better on things you don't want to turn also.

Typical blown out tensioners..ugh.
Thanks. I’ll try that this morning. Crappy 12-point 32mm socket I have won’t grab it’s properly.

Has a brain fart about using the impact on this. Did it after the fact!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I’ll try that this morning. Crappy 12-point 32mm socket I have won’t grab it’s properly.

Has a brain fart about using the impact on this. Did it after the fact!
You might be able to impact the crank bolt in (with a spacer) and turn it back by hand, or put the hub back on, add 2 bolts, and lever it back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might be able to impact the crank bolt in (with a spacer) and turn it back by hand, or put the hub back on, add 2 bolts, and lever it back.
I was able to a short 1-1/4” socket and get it turned back. starting to button up the cover now, then it’s time for the roller followers to go in!

No bolt holes on the pulley I have; the design changed in 2008 so I had to get the claw type puller.

And, of course, now I can’t get the third power steering pump bolt to thread! Grrr… At least I got two of the bolts in and tightened.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was able to a short 1-1/4” socket and get it turned back. starting to button up the cover now, then it’s time for the roller followers to go in!

No bolt holes on the pulley I have; the design changed in 2008 so I had to get the claw type puller.

And, of course, now I can’t get the third power steering pump bolt to thread! Grrr… At least I got two of the bolts in and tightened.
That bolt it always tough. You might have to loosen the other 2 and jiggle it a bit to get it started. You might get away with just 2 also.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That bolt it always tough. You might have to loosen the other 2 and jiggle it a bit to get it started. You might get away with just 2 also.
Had to actually rethread the offending bolt hole. All fixed and buttoning up the engine now. Might hit the pool next since I picked the hottest weekend of the year to do this job!