Timing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barnarack

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have an 08 expedition.
I need a little help. After timing chain replacement i noticed the car not as smooth as before, i was questioning the mechanic if he did the timing right.
My check engine light is also on. I didn't trust him so I removed the valve cover than i see something really wired. I believe my phasers are on the wrong side. I took a picture of the driver side one. Thank you for help.

Attachments

• IMG_20220812_152939131.jpg
    IMG_20220812_152939131.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 11

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you mean you believe he swapped the Left and Right phasers? If so, they are identical parts so there is no "side" for them.

However, it is possible the cam gear is one or more teeth off, which would cause it to run poorly.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are a couple good videos to check out that might help diagnose the issue:

Fitts07

Reaction score
Its very difficult to see if the timing marks line up accurately without removing the front cover. The phasers are the same either side so they are labeled for both left and right. The chain also only lines up once every like 122 revolutions or something. Are you sure something else may not be the cause? Loose connections, vacuum leak ect..
Did he do the full timing set? including solenoids?

OP
OP
B

Barnarack

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer!
The car starts easy, and there was only timing chain change nothing else. But after the job I'm getting p0349 and p0345 codes.
Also my fuel consumption is got higher.

Fitts07

Reaction score
p0345 and p0349 are timing codes for the drivers side cam. P0345 is flagged during startup and P0349 is flagged during running if the little fingers on the phasers are not where the computer expects them to be. Maybe check your cam position sensor on the drivers side? Phaser could possibly be a tooth off on the drivers side? Im not sure on that one though, idk if the engine would run a tooth off.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure the timing finger (middle finger of the three fingers on the phaser....) is absolutely straight and not bent back at all. That finger triggers the cam timing sensor. Also make sure the cam timing sensor, plug, wiring harness at the plug, are in good shape. Many times that plug and/or harness gets damaged during the timing chain job, or careless wire probing.

Cam Timing Sensor Harness Inspection and Repair Video

Last edited: