timing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2001 xlt. I did some work on the engine and I believe I did it right. I have included a scan of my timing that says its 12 degrees off? There is no code but it does not run perfect yet. I have resolved my misfires but it seems starved for air at higher rpm? I have not replaced my cats yet. I think that the cats going bad would just not catalize rather than to clog up the system... Also no cat code either. No codes at all actually. Hypothetically if it was a tooth off how do I know which way to correct it, and if its only one side?

I searched for this issue however the other one has cam phasers which I do not. I used the timing tool to ensure the timing was correct. I thought I had a timing issue and replaced a bunch of stuff once but it was a misfire.

Thank you for reading this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230404-145614_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20230404-145614_Torque.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How could I verify the timing is correct?

If I scan the cam position sensors what would I look for. 180 apart? They were approximately 90 degrees apart. The mark was at the top of the head...

OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is embarrassing. So I like where that cams are but the crank need to rotate a bit clockwise. My plan is to lock down the cams and pull the chains off and rotated the crank and place the chains again. I am not sure how I set the timing off and did not blow rhe engine. I have been driving it like this for a while. It idled weird and had a sound like something was not great and the power was not 100 percent. There was no code or anything. I took it apart on a hunch that this was the problem. Well I believe this proves the theory, once reset it should have improved performance. I will let you know in a week or so.

(FYI the crank should be aligned over the little pin that is about 1/2 an inch from its current position. This is about a tooth off, if not two.)

Attachments

• 20230507_191233.jpg
    20230507_191233.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230507_191223.jpg
    20230507_191223.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230507_191209.jpg
    20230507_191209.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 6

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure the colored chain links are properly set over the timing marks on the cam sprockets, and on the crank sprocket. The mark on the crank sprocket is near six O'clock when both chains are on correctly. But the main thing is that they're properly set over the timing marks on all sprockets before you turn it over.

Replacing Timing Chains on 2V Triton Motor Video

OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I knew the directions when I thought I set it right before. It says 11 o'clock for the passengers side and that is kind of sloppy. The only thing I can guess is I set passenger side and was trying to set the drivers side and rotated it. Passengers side appears good its drivers side covers over the bottom. I did not find the dark link when I did it before but I now see the colored links. I got new chains anyway...

I had the rollers out to put in new lifters so there was no issue last time, with interference.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What brand of chains are you using ? Are there two dark links on one end and one dark link on the other end ?

OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the ones on there were stock and harder to notice the dark links. I got the cloyes ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have re-set the timing, she runs so much better. After plugging number 6 coil back in. It is noticeably better. Lucky there was not major damage from a mistake like that. I ran it for over a year and towed a trailer.

The lesson here is the one link is on the bottom and the two links split the mark on each cam. I guess, as long as it's half, the bottom could be split by the two links. Just make sure those are half way apart. I did have the cam locks this time which I think helped because I was able to set the drivers side which is behind the other chain so it has to be done first, and then rotate the crank clockwise to put tension on the drivers side crank. I think last time I had trouble tensioning one side to install the other side. I pulled the lifters to avoid valve issues but I was unable to put tension on the drivers side to install the passengers side and I think that was where I went wrong - trying to put tension on one side to set the other with out the cam locks.