Tips on lift and shocks for deleted air suspension 99 EB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olija

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the world of Fords but not new to wrenching and wheeling. Bought a 99 EB a few months ago and saw a great clip on youtube of Stark's Expeditions, how to run 35" tires on an Expedition. He mentioned a 2" spacer in the rear and a 2" TB crank in the front. Easy enough, but I'm having trouble trying to find longer shocks to replace the bagged out stock shocks with when I lift it. I see Supreme Suspensions sells Pro Comp and Bilstein shocks with their lifts but they don't list the part number on their site, and besides, they're sold out. Rock Auto also shows a listing for a Rancho 4" longer shock which is probably from back in the day when Rancho made a 4" lift kit for these, but probably too long for a more modest lift I'm guessing. The other thing that I'm trying to determine is if I can even replace my front shocks with conventional shocks, because the previous owner had replaced the 4-corner air suspension with coils. The back is straightforward, but I read that in the front, on the air ride models, a lighter duty torsion bar was used, so the replacement shocks are actually coilovers to help the weaker torsion bar hold the vehicle up. Is it even possible to pair up a shock that was not intended for this air bag delete with the assist spring? I'm thinking not, but could use some advice.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can’t use conventional shocks for the front with a weak torsion bar. I have the same set up you have to use coil overs on the front made by a couple different companies but it’s still not sturdy. I left mine about 4 inches and I’m using the ranch of 4 inch valve shocks in the back they were just fine

OP
OP
O

olija

Reaction score
Ok, so basically I can only use the coilover conversion shocks and nothing else?

I am thinking about replacing the front bumper with a steel winch bumper and an 8500 lb winch that I already have from my previous vehicle. I also plan to put 35x12.50 BFG All Terrains on the factory wheels, and crank the torsion bars up in order to get them to clear. I'm just worried that the light-duty torsion bar / load-assist coilover is not going to be up to the task and it's going to sag or fail. Any ideas?

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No you can crank the torsion bar up it will be just fine and then get 3 inch or 4 inch shocks for the back wall spring spacers for the back and that should do it. Just make sure you don’t pass the point where it stretches your other suspension components I did the same thing.

OP
OP
O

olija

Reaction score
Sounds great and I'd love to see pics. I just have one question: are you running a winch bumper and winch? I'm still curious to know how well this light-duty torsion bar + coilover is going to handle the extra 200 lbs.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No I’m not running a winch or anything like that I did buy a used 7700 series torsion bar but never put it on. I am now looking at buying some custom coil overs that with the same strength. But other than that the torsion bar that I do have works well with this set up.