Tire cable/chains on rear only for 4x4 too?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey Smith

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition Max 4x4 and was looking for tire cables/chains. When reading about them, recommendation for 4x4 SUV’s is to use cables on all 4 wheels. However, the Ford manual clearly states to put them on rear wheels only. While it doesn’t state that this guidance applies to 4x4 models as well, wanted to see what people on the forum that use tire cables/chains do for their 4x4 expeditions. Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
There are other threads on this Forum for this. Search to find them.

I don't think anyone has ever identified any product they use on rear. I believe you can put chains on the rear wheels as long as they are "thin". Larger chains can hit I believe. As far as I know it's just not good to put anything on front.

I also would like to know if anyone has experience and uses anything successfully.

There are some cable products I keep planning to purchase and try

Last edited:

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe you should look into the Autosock instead, I believe they are are 50 state compliant for a traction aiding device and work when it says chains required. There are a lot of things for chains and cables to catch on in the wheel wells of newer vehicles, especially the front. Back in the day, the solid axle vehicles didn't have anything to catch on and you just had to worry about the chains flipping up and smacking the side of the truck.

I think you would be better off with snow tires and 4wd if you travel to areas requiring that a lot.

OP
OP
J

Joey Smith

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Exp XLT Max with the Hankook Dynapro ATM 275/55R20 113T and only plan to head up to Lake Tahoe a few times a year at most.

Has anyone had experience with using these cables:
“Security Chain Company ZT751 Super Z LT Light Truck and SUV Tire Traction Chain”

on an 4th Gen 4x4 Expedition?

OP
OP
J

Joey Smith

Reaction score
I ended up buying a set of these:
“Security Chain Company ZT751 Super Z LT Light Truck and SUV Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2”

Tried fitting them on in my garage on the rear tires only as noted in the manual.
Hoping there are no issues if I do end up needing them.

Took a picture of the back side of the tire.
Anyone think there could be an issue with using these? Just wondering if anything on the back side could snag with the tire cables...

3080e23bd162cac8484d1c5b2b19471b.jpge28b827dac14feb4e52388792a74c48a.jpg71b3217523f5959d67967c06e5e139f0.jpg

Plati

Reaction score
they look ok?
unless one of those little yellow clips comes loose?

first pic looks close to brake line, might just be the angle of the pic
I think I would rotate and watch the wheel all the way around

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't used chains on a highway since 1978 (small 2WD Pontiac economy car and lots of snow on a weekend trip home to WV). Since then, the 4WD trucks/SUVs haven't needed chains to get through the snow/slush, etc.

When my father-in-law (a Ford truck guy) would get out in the off road areas in deep snow he'd put chains on the front wheels of his F150 4WD pick ups. He said that's where the weight and traction was so that's where he wanted the extra traction.

I don't even own a set of chains these days. And those cables? Looks like the sit way farther up/around the tires that the old chains did. Looks really close to the brake line. Plastic clips? The old chains used a metal loop/hook piece to connect the chains to the rubber tension ring on the outside of the wheel.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All I'm going to say is google pictures of the carnage chains can do when they fail. You won't have any brake lines, sensors, etc left it they let go at any speed.... Its just not worth it. Buy snow tires and be done with it.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have carried z cables for 25yrs to Tahoe only used them once to go about 50ft up a Iced over driveway to reach the main road, then took them off.

carry them but never use them except for short extreme situations.
I have left Tahoe on closed unplowed roads with zero issues. The issues come from tourists in flip flops and bald tires on their Front wheel drive cars.

Get z cables and never use them on highways or city streets unless your going very short distances and 10-15mph max.