Tire Options on 22" Wheels

Discussion in '4th Gen - 2018 - present' started by TX-EXPMAX, Jun 28, 2019.

1. TX-EXPMAX

TX-EXPMAX Member

At some point (not sure when), I would really like to lift my MAX a little and get some taller tires. I've read some about the readylift and think I'd like to see what else is out there, or comes out as it doesn't appear to have raving reviews yet. For tires, i'd really like to maintain the stock look as much as possible and was hoping to keep the factory wheels. At the risk of throwing rocks, dirt etc and scratching the side of the car up, i'd really like to just go slightly taller and not wider as well. What options have you seen out there?

2. 16plati

16plati Full Access Members

I would not lift it and keep 22s. You will have to get longer control arms for the CCD and your ride comfort is going to suffer with 22s

3. Grey ghost

Grey ghost Full Access Members

Mines not 4x4 but I like the looks of the wheels on the platinum that are 22" I don't want to go to 22" wheels. If anyone sees a wheel like the platinum in 20" let me know.

4. RhinoQuartz

RhinoQuartz Full Access Members

I think Explorers and Edge's have 20" wheels that look similar.

5. Grey ghost

Grey ghost Full Access Members

The edge and last year's explorer are both wrong wheel drive so the backspace is way off.

6. TX-EXPMAX

TX-EXPMAX Member

A little research reveals that there are virtually no other tire size options and brands in 22s. Only viable option I found was a 285/50/R22. Slightly taller (which is good), but its a really rare size. Discount tire quoted me over $400/tire. That’s a tough pill to swallow considering I plan to hold on to this for a while. Probably makes more sense to swap out the rims and go down to a 20” as it will save me in the long run.

7. duneslider

duneslider Full Access Members

The curse of large wheel sizes. I can get 5 35" name brand mud tires for my jeep on 15" wheels for about a grand installed. The same tire in a 17-18 is $100 more per tire and about another $100 to jump up to 20's. Not a lot of options out there in 22's, especially if you want a more offroad oriented tire. Although, I suspect that isn't what most expedition owners are wanting anyway.

8. dubyalodge

dubyalodge New Member

You might check out the Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/45 R22's. I got a set and have about 10k miles on them and love them. They ride increadibly well, not too loud on highway, and have a great aggressive look.

9. TX-EXPMAX

TX-EXPMAX Member

If i end up not going for a lift (which as of now one doesn’t exist that works with the CCD suspension) i might go this route when the factory ones wear out. This would at least give a little more aggressive look over the highway tires on it now.

10. duneslider

duneslider Full Access Members

Yowza! $400 each mounted and balanced! Its insane what they charge for those sizes. My buddy has those on his f150 and likes them and they look really nice.