Tire Pressure for 22" Factory Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Morning everyone. I see in several different posts what people are setting their tire pressure at, but wanted a thread for more comments.

I have the factory 22" wheels on my Expedition Max Plat.

I believe that it states somewhere I should have the psi set at 29 when cold.

Any thoughts? Going on a long road trip and want to set the psi correctly.

Thanks...

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your door sticker. If your platinum is like mine, you should be at 39 psi cold. It'll also be on your sidewalls.

Obviously others on here have opinions about ride quality and whatnot, but 29 seems really low. Ive been at 40 since I picked her up and the ride is awesome.

bf2739c117820f6a75cfb4a069431d2e.jpg

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think in an effort to improve Fuel Economy over the last few years, we see higher tire pressures, I recall the norm perhaps used to be 36 psi. Many new tires are low rolling resistance that make a big difference, I am sure the higher PSI helps.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I've said before, I run my Michelin Primacy tires that came stock on the XLT Max at 42PSI, a bit below the max pressure on the sidewall, which is 44PSI. Car manufacturers recommend pressures below the max pressures on the sidewalls. Tire manufacturers rate the load capacity at max PSI. Not sure how the car manufacturers decide on their recommendations.

Amacron

Reaction score
It also states the recommended tire pressure on the dash when looking at the what the current tire pressures are at.

I was in error this was on the FordPass app. My bad

Last edited:

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I normally run higher pressures than the sticker as I tow an 8000# travel trailer. The '18 Platinum Max with the 22" wheels is new to me. I've logged about 5000 miles to date on an extended road trip towing that trailer with the 39# recommendation and have been watching the pressures and checking the temps when I stop and with just over 7k on the odometer from new, the tires show no unusual wear. I'm happy with the 39# pressure and don't have any issues with ride quality towing or solo.