Tire pressures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
who here runs max tire pressures? Doesn’t matter if it’s lifted or stock, just curious as to how many people run the max pressures for whatever tires you are using

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run 40 psi on my Michelins, not sure what max pressure is though. It says 35 PSI on the door jamb as recommended.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Max pressure is only for when you are running at or close to max tire capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my tires, max is not stated on the sidewall.

When towing, I do start with the rears just under or at MAX COLD when cold.

Even when empty, there is no noticeable difference to taking them down to lower pressures. Am sure there is some scientific test out there that will show a difference of X inches or X feet stopping distance though. YMWV.

Also, am sure that there are plenty of ways that different people manage their tires. So, in this case, am not looking to claim which approach is best and am merely answering the original question ;)

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my tires, max is not stated on the sidewall.

When towing, I do start with the rears just under or at MAX COLD when cold.

Even when empty, there is no noticeable difference to taking them down to lower pressures. Am sure there is some scientific test out there that will show a difference of X inches or X feet stopping distance though. YMWV.

Also, am sure that there are plenty of ways that different people manage their tires. So, in this case, am not looking to claim which approach is best and am merely answering the original question ;)

Are they mud tires?? Please show a pic of a DOT street tire that does not state max pressure, load range, and traction, tread wear, DOM etc on it.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ALL tires that say 35 max get 35 or at least 34 if I'm in a hurry.

All 44 tires get 42-42.
All 50 tires get 42-45.
Any 55 tires get 44-45 or so.
All 60 get 55-60.
All 80 get at least 72. Since all my E range tires are on big vehicles and carry lots of weight.

I have had tire shops put a brand new E range on and put 35 in it.
That wouldn't even be safe on one of my 14,400 GVWR vehicle!!!

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are they mud tires?? Please show a pic of a DOT street tire that does not state max pressure, load range, and traction, tread wear, DOM etc on it.

Step into the world of LT's. It is common to see MAX COLD which is not MAX. ;)

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since this is an enthusiasts community, and many people are running non stock tires, its probably helpful to also state the tire size, construction (P, P-Metric, LT) and load ratings. LT tires, for instance, will often run higher pressures than equivalent size in a P-Metric, to achieve the same load rating. Generally conversion tables can be found on the tire manufacturers websites..

But yes, according to the tire manufacturers anyway, maximum stated cold inflation pressures are for when the tire is expected to carry at or near its maximum stated load capacity, and can and should be decreased to match actual load carried for best results.

Here is an article pulled from Toyo's website as an example..

https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf

Keep in mind this example is for a specific brand and model tire, but it gets the point across..

Last edited: