Tire time...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rezolution

Reaction score
My car came from the factory with Michelin Primacys installed. I used them for 3 years and they're down to 3/32 on all 4 tires and the sidewalls are all dryrotted. I got exactly 30,000 miles out of them and they're rated for 55,000.

So, I can either get 4 of the exact same tire (Primacy) for $1100, or I can switch to Michelin Defenders for $1000. Supposedly the defenders get 75,000 mi.

I can also get Goodyear Wrangler fortitude hd for $970 or hankook dynapro for $950

Does anyone have any opinions on any of these? I was happy with the performance, noise level, and drive of the primacy but unhappy with tread life and sidewall rotting.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Michelin Defender. Good ride and handling in dry/rain. Decent in snow (not great imho). Excellent treadwear.

* Edit: Costco has them on promo for $110 off a set of 4 installed (was $150 off a couple weeks ago, but that promo seems to have ended).

Last edited:

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stay away from the Hankook Dynapro's They came standard on my 2018 Platinum. They are noisy and have absolutely no traction in wet weather, not to mention light snow. Ford's way of cheapening a really nice vehicle, by putting the worst possible tires on it as standard equipment!!!

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stay away from the Hankook Dynapro's They came standard on my 2018 Platinum. They are noisy and have absolutely no traction in wet weather, not to mention light snow. Ford's way of cheapening a really nice vehicle, by putting the worst possible tires on it as standard equipment!!!
So true. I cant wait for mine to wear so I can upgrade to the Michelins.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had Dynapros. As others have said, they sucked. Very unstable at high speeds and mushy around town. If you plan to tow, get "D" or "E" load tire. If you drive in snow and don't plan to get a dedicated winter tire, make sure the tire you select has the three-peak snow rating. If you're just driving around highways in good weather, the Michelin's seem to be a good bet. I've had good experiences with Yokohamas on several vehicles as well. I feel as though tires are one of those things where you get what you pay for. Every time I've tried to go with a cheaper tire, I've noticed a deficiency somewhere. Even within the same brand.

bring_em_on

Reaction score
How old are the stock tires? There might be some sort of tread wear warranty.

If you switch, I can vouch for the Defender. I owned the LTX M/S 2 on several of my cars (I believe the M/S 2 was the Defender predecessor). Great tread life. Best overall tire for all season driving.

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
How old are the stock tires? There might be some sort of tread wear warranty.

If you switch, I can vouch for the Defender. I owned the LTX M/S 2 on several of my cars (I believe the M/S 2 was the Defender predecessor). Great tread life. Best overall tire for all season driving.
I'm curious as to how one would even get anything back for the stock tires if they don't reach the stated treadlife. I've gotten credit from discount tire on tires i've bought from them but never had luck on the stock set. Have you been able to do this?