Tire Weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LazSlate

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great points by everyone and the consensus is it will take a big hit on MPG.
Most of it in the city with stop and go. But the highway will suffer also like most said with extra resistance and the change to the airflow of the vehicle being higher. The tire weight has less impact since your up to speed at that point.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put LT tires on my 20s. It rides a bit harder and lost ~1 mpg, but the peace of mind and improved stability while towing was worth it. Try finding a shop that will let you swap back if you don't like the LT tires.
Thanks Jason. I can't find 22 inch LTs, I was hoping that dropping to 18 inch wheels would provide enough sidewall to mitigate some of the harder ride from the added plys (plies?). So swapping back is not an option, but perhaps selling them would be. I am pretty sure if no one here wants them someone with a F150 will.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Jason. I can't find 22 inch LTs, I was hoping that dropping to 18 inch wheels would provide enough sidewall to mitigate some of the harder ride from the added plys (plies?). So swapping back is not an option, but perhaps selling them would be. I am pretty sure if no one here wants them someone with a F150 will.
If you have a Discount Tire near you, I suggest calling and speaking to a manager about the return policy for wheel/tire combos. They're pretty good about things like that, so if you get a wheel tire combination and drive for a week, they may allow you to return the wheels and exchange tires for a nominal fee. It would probably be worth it to avoid getting stuck with something you're unhappy with. On my 20-inch wheels the ride quality isn't too bad for me. It's definitely not cush, but high-speed stability was improved and it doesn't feel like the tire is rolling over during turns. I air down to 45 when not towing.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a Discount Tire near you, I suggest calling and speaking to a manager about the return policy for wheel/tire combos. They're pretty good about things like that, so if you get a wheel tire combination and drive for a week, they may allow you to return the wheels and exchange tires for a nominal fee. It would probably be worth it to avoid getting stuck with something you're unhappy with. On my 20-inch wheels the ride quality isn't too bad for me. It's definitely not cush, but high-speed stability was improved and it doesn't feel like the tire is rolling over during turns. I air down to 45 when not towing.
Thanks. I am a fan of firm suspensions and have driven trucks before so I am not really too concerned about it. There is a Discount Tire about 4 miles from my house, so I will ask them when ready to do it. At this point my Expy is not even built and we have not settled on a trailer, so this is all theoretical. I will have to see how the stock setup does when we acquire the whole rig. I have a trip from the east coast to Colorado planned for June with this rig. The build date is this week assuming they really start building them tomorrow, and hopefully there will be all the parts to get it to me.