Tires and wheels to downsize from 22"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iaazan

Reaction score
How did you go about cutting the axle shafts?
Just to make sure we're apples to apples, I didn't cut the shaft, just the threads on the very end of them that if I remember correctly, are used to install the brake disc nut.
I put the rims on and that's when the center cap popped out. I first tried to use a dremel and remove some of the center cap from the inside to make it fit, but then I ended up marking the threads and cutting. When I cut them, I put a nut on the threads and then took a 4" grinding wheel to it, so that I wouldn't marr up the rest of the threads. Then when I was done cutting I took the nut off to make sure they were still good.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Just to make sure we're apples to apples, I didn't cut the shaft, just the threads on the very end of them that if I remember correctly, are used to install the brake disc nut.
I put the rims on and that's when the center cap popped out. I first tried to use a dremel and remove some of the center cap from the inside to make it fit, but then I ended up marking the threads and cutting. When I cut them, I put a nut on the threads and then took a 4" grinding wheel to it, so that I wouldn't marr up the rest of the threads. Then when I was done cutting I took the nut off to make sure they were still good.
Sounds like you cut the rear Halfshaft/axle threads. As long as you didn't cut the fronts, you'll probably be fine.

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Yes, I was referring to the outer threaded end of the axles so we are talking the same.
Are you happy with the outcome??
Looking to go with 1st gen Raptor wheels and would prefer saving $100 or so and not buy spacers.

iaazan

Reaction score
Yes, I was referring to the outer threaded end of the axles so we are talking the same.
Are you happy with the outcome??
Looking to go with 1st gen Raptor wheels and would prefer saving $100 or so and not buy spacers.
Yes, completely happy. No issues as of yet, been that way for a year.

Drmayer88

Reaction score
Op I’ve got 20s on my 17- would entertain a trade for your 22s depending on location. I’m in WI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

corvin

Reaction score
Hey, for any of you wondering, traded in my 2017 Expy yesterday with 80k on it.

I had bought 18" wheels off a King Ranch F150 when my Expy had 25K miles on it. As mentioned above, rear axle was popping through the endcaps, so I just had them without endcaps all this time, I'm all for taking utility over looks. Last year put some beefy 275/65R18 Falken Wildpeaks on it.

Never had any issues. Initially truck seemed little more wobbly, but I got used to it very quickly. The comfort, stability on dirt roads, knowing that I don't have to worry about rocks or curbs anymore was great.

Attachments

• 20240107_200114.jpg
    20240107_200114.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 6