Tires needed..............Highway mostly driven

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,
I realize that 'personal' preference is much in the decision of which tire to buy. Also 'past' experience with a certain brand will influence choice also. But I will ask the question anyway.

I have a 2017 Limited. 275x55x20 . It comes with Hankook Dynapro HT. I have 52K+ miles on them and my opinion of them is that they "Are OK, but......." When new they rode kind of nice and were kinda quiet. But now they are not nice riding and are not quiet......but then they are wearing out so what do I expect...........

A while back I had put Cooper Evolution H/T on my 2010 Ford Ranger 4x4 extended cab; fairly decent size truck even tho 'mid-size' classification. The Cooper's were extremely quiet and the ride was really quite nice for a 'Mid-Size P/U'. Sooooo, I am kinda leaning towards the Coopers. The load range and speed rating is higher than what is needed so the tire is applicable to my 2017 vehicle.

Admittedly I have had good experience with Michelin's. But, they will cost me about $200+ more than what the Cooper's will cost. Plus if one is to believe the 'reviews' on places like TireRack and TireBuyer the Cooper's actually came out ahead in the 'Ride' and 'Quiet' categories.

My TOP PRIORITY is Ride and Quiet. Mileage expected is arbitrary. I've never had a tire last 80K miles (Michelin has that for their Defender LTX)

Looking for opinions from folks who drive mostly highway miles. I travel a lot each year, for me anyway. Around 15K and more each year. Snow is not a concern.

52k is only OK?

I'm on my second set of Hangkooks...paved, snow, ice, some offroad.

MartinB

Reaction score
I just got these...

https://www.offroadxtreme.com/engine-tech/wheels-tires/cooper-discoverer-at3-xlt-tire-review/

And I also came to the realization that the cooper product were really quiet. I saw no difference in noise between the street tire I was running and those pretty aggressive all terrain cooper. I was skeptical at first when I saw the review but now that I have them, I love them.

For longevity... well this remain to be seen. I still see no wear but I am only 6k in... Future will tell

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They aren’t being discontinued but you can’t get them for yours anymore. 20” rims require the defenders. Michelin has kept the LTX MS/2 around for 5-6 years past it’s “discontinuation” and still continues to produce them to this day because they don’t want to lose the market share on the 18” wheels. It supposed to be a dead tire but I just bought a brand new set from them last year and they told me it was because the Defender line can’t do the 18” wheels. So the MS/2 lives on as a ghost of sorts for the select vehicles it covers

I'm really picky with tires...product of growing up in the Northeast.

I loved the M/S2s. But J is dead on...they've "moved away" from those to the Defender series. I couldn't get them for the 20s either.

I've got the Defenders on my Expy and haven't noticed a difference from the M/S2s. (Full disclosure, I don't drive in winter weather anymore) Nevertheless, I still enjoy them.

Last edited:

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to run the Michelin LTX tires on all of my SUVs, but they've gotten harder to come by lately. I put a set of Continental TerrainContact H/Ts on my 2020 Ram (22" wheels) and I think I just found my favorite new tires. I've got over 5k on them so far, and they killed it in the snow this past winter. They're quiet, track well on the highway, and I've seen no mileage penalty for them. I'll be putting them on my Expy this summer.

Tire Test Results : Testing Highway All-Season Tires 2020 (tirerack.com)

As a side note, I had the TerrainContact A/Ts on my previous GMC Canyon, and while they rode very well, they ironically were not as good in the snow as the H/Ts, even though they were A/T tires (very mild A/Ts, but still). Go figure.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody that runs all terrain knobby tires saying their quiet is deaf.

What do you consider a “knobby all terrain tire”?

Is it literally any all terrain tire or just ones that are really aggressive?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357