Top Tier Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craigga542

Reaction score
Have a question on a highly debatable subject here, so I’m going to ask my question and then set some ground rules. I don’t care for the nonsense arguments, I mostly like facts over opinions.

Question: Is there any discernible and/or research evidence of less reliability, significant buildup, or performance issues from anything less than top tier gas specifically related to this generation EB?

1. I’m not looking for any debate on brands, strictly top tier vs not.
2. Not looking for anything related to octane or ethanol.
3. The gas I’m referring to is Sam’s Club vs QuikTrip, advertised tier 1 vs not.
4. There is typically 30 cents or more per gallon difference, so worth discussing in my book.
5. Again, specifically looking for any evidence on the gen 2 EB.
6. I likely won’t own this Expy post 80-100k miles, but I want reliability until then.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This could unravel into decent before the 4 page average but I’ll chime in.

I go to BP 99% of the time and pay at the pump and my main reason is to avoid the riff raff found at the QT and race trac. Is their gas any better? Idk, probably. I’d probably buy at my Sams but it’s not very close to me and every time I go there to shop I’ve recently filled up and the pumps are often busy due to the price.

I should add that I live in a smaller city and the QT and Race trac may not be representative of the entire chain so I apologize if any riff raff got offended /s

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gas is gas, nuff said. Grab a can of your favorite nitrogen based fuel system cleaner and dump it in every quarter if it makes you feel better.

OP
OP
C

Craigga542

Reaction score
No worries. QT here isn’t so bad, convenient and quick. I fill up there all the time with my company vehicle for convenience and I get points from my free gas. Now that I’m paying for more gas in the personal expy, price is an added factor when my points don’t add up for a free tank. I pinch pennies most the time hah. Curious though if the short term savings are worth it long term. They are both just as convenient and close.

OP
OP
C

Craigga542

Reaction score
Gas is gas, nuff said. Grab a can of your favorite fuel system cleaner and dump it in every quarter if it makes you feel better.

That’s mostly how I’ve viewed it, but with my company vehicle for years I’ve never cared. Also never personally owned a turbo direct/port injection, wasn’t sure if it would change much.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sams club, Quick Trip and Costco, plus many other gas stations do not own a refinery. They source their gas from multiple venders probably based on price and availability. Look where your closest refinery is that has a truck load out dock. Chances are that’s where it comes from. When I was younger I worked at a Pennzoil refinery. We loaded out every gas station brand but Flying J and Chevron. They had their own refineries down the street. Buy your gas from a place that goes through a bunch of it fast. Less change of condensation or stale fuel. Especially if you drive a diesel. Diesel grows a bacteria after it sits for a while.

OP
OP
C

Craigga542

Reaction score
Sams club, Quick Trip and Costco, plus many other gas stations do not own a refinery. They source their gas from multiple venders probably based on price and availability. Look where your closest refinery is that has a truck load out dock. Chances are that’s where it comes from. When I was younger I worked at a Pennzoil refinery. We loaded out every gas station brand but Flying J and Chevron. They had their own refineries down the street. Buy your gas from a place that goes through a bunch of it fast. Less change of condensation or stale fuel. Especially if you drive a diesel. Diesel grows a bacteria after it sits for a while.

Refineries are all over the place here, been to many of them. While you are correct on everything, I personally feel the detergents that some use, including top tier, are different than say Murphy’s, Jump Start, Sam’s, etc. Regardless, sounds like you would use Sam’s with no objections or long term worries?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have a question on a highly debatable subject here, so I’m going to ask my question and then set some ground rules. I don’t care for the nonsense arguments, I mostly like facts over opinions.

Question: Is there any discernible and/or research evidence of less reliability, significant buildup, or performance issues from anything less than top tier gas specifically related to this generation EB?

1. I’m not looking for any debate on brands, strictly top tier vs not.
2. Not looking for anything related to octane or ethanol.
3. The gas I’m referring to is Sam’s Club vs QuikTrip, advertised tier 1 vs not.
4. There is typically 30 cents or more per gallon difference, so worth discussing in my book.
5. Again, specifically looking for any evidence on the gen 2 EB.
6. I likely won’t own this Expy post 80-100k miles, but I want reliability until then.

Have you read your vehicle owner’s manual to see what Ford says about Top Tier fuel use?

OP
OP
C

Craigga542

Reaction score
No. It gets delivered Friday and honestly didn’t think it would reference top tier

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The manual does recommend top tier fuel and a minimum of 87 octane. IMO you will only get the true “Top Tier” from someone who owns a refinery. Other wise it’s a crap shoot on what you’re getting.

245e8b1754578e33e3847b96236e25c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk