Total engine replacement cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillAlex

Reaction score
There is a local shop that will rebuild a 5.4L 3V and install it for about $3,800. The local dealership wants $6,000 but it is FORD and the warrantee is honored at any Ford dealership nationwide. Both have 3 year unlimited mile warrantee. The local shop that charges $3,600 swears he uses OEM Ford parts and updates the Phasers, Chain Guides, Oil Pump, Pick Up as well as Water Pump. He also rebuilds and installs approximately Six Ford Motors a week and his techs have Ten years experience at rebuilding or more. I could only find three complaints against the shop in six years and they were pretty much BS complaints rather than legit. The question I have is should I go for a Ford Factory Authorized REman shop or go with a local rebuilder that seems to check out. Not quite double in price but close enough that I could put two engines in over time as compared to just one. See my point? Am I wrong?

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Both are expensive as F**K given the price of the truck itself has been surpassed more than 100% of its value.

I got my original motor timing set installed, found out bottom end was too shot to be of any good very shortly after that, bought a lower milage 5.4L 3v, got it swapped, then installed the new timing set from my old motor to the new donor motor.... all that labor and a complete motorcraft timing set and an ENTIRE engine for less than what the local shop is quoting you... to give you an idea why I think your options are so darn expensive in comparison

Oh and I got a 3yr/36k on all labor warranty (documented)

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no idea what a fair price is for the job, but I personally would not sink even $3,800 in a 2005 Expedition. I would set it on fire before I would do that. If you're really set on it though, I see no good reason to have it done at a dealership (or by whoever they contract to do it). You'll end up paying more for what will very likely be less-skilled labor. Having dealt with Ford warranties in the recent past, that wouldn't hold any sway for me - except maybe sway in the other direction.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Before you sink that kind of money and risk into what's a 19-year old truck, carefully inspect every inch of it to make sure the condition is worthy. My 2000 looked beautiful, was carefully maintained with all Ford parts and had no flaws, I thought when it developed a head gasket leak.

Before dropping some $2000 in parts I gave it a real good look: Brake lines above the gas tank were rotted, and the rear suspension parts were almost completely gone -- rusted through. The spare tire had gone missing, somewhere on the interstate I'm sure...

After an honest evaluation and 250,000 miles, it was time to move on. And it hurt.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on your situation. In some cases if money is tight your only options are repower or drive a POS that is worse than your old expy...if that’s your scenario then repowering makes sense. When you repower you have your vehicle with essentially a new engine, that’s one plus. Whereas if your buying another used truck your spending even more money for an old used engine and powertain. Sometimes it makes sense to replace powertrain.

Last edited:

BillAlex

Reaction score
I think part of my decision is to compare what a new one cost. A rather "plane jane" model list for $60,000 for a 2019. Nice car but depreciation runs about 15% per year and CARFAX estimates that most cars lose about 60% of value in the first five years. Looking at ebay, they are pretty close. A five year old ESPY can be bought for less than $20,000. $8,000 to $9,000 per year loss is usually more than repairs and maintenance on a car. Sort of evens out if you figure the first few years are basically only oil changes, Batteries and tires. After five years, depreciation slows down, but not entirely. So it stands to reason that if you look far and wide and locate a really clean car, with little or no rust (Pretty rare in Arizona to find Rust) but the usual Phaser or Chain problem that came unglued, you might have a pretty good candidate to cherry one out. It is true, that a new engine is not going to raise your wholesale book price. If you are starting fresh and like knowing your car is under warrantee for at least three years, the peace of mind has value.
So if I drop a new engine in, I have pretty much committed to driving the car for at lest three years and possibly five. The repairs and maintenance goes down considerably with a new engine and proper maintenance. It seems to me that $3,000 to $5,000 for a car you can drive for three years or so is a pretty good deal. I would agree that a Ford Dealership Engine would not offer than much more protection as a Warrantee is a Warrantee. Used engines bother me a bit as you might just be buying the exact same problem you had with the first one. At least with a RE-MAN engine, you have a pretty good idea of what you have got.

BillAlex

Reaction score
I really do appreciate you guys and your help. I know so many out there have been faced with the same problem I have, to rebuild, replace or simply strike a match and walk away. With a blown engine, you have to take your lumps and realize you have a car that may only be worth $500 to $1,000 so adding $3,800 puts you in it for less than $5,000 and it would be one with a new or reman engine. Should run pretty good for a number of years. So once again, I Thank you for your help.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really do appreciate you guys and your help. I know so many out there have been faced with the same problem I have, to rebuild, replace or simply strike a match and walk away. With a blown engine, you have to take your lumps and realize you have a car that may only be worth $500 to $1,000 so adding $3,800 puts you in it for less than $5,000 and it would be one with a new or reman engine. Should run pretty good for a number of years. So once again, I Thank you for your help.

That’s the other thing people forget, if you don’t fix it the truck is worth scrap. So a $5-$7,000 2nd gen (04-06) truck is now worth a few hundred bucks. It’s a poor financial decision to scrap said truck if it’s in decent shape because your losing $5,000-$6,000. Where a new engine costs less than the loss of value. Even though a new engine adds no book value, sometimes it’s worth it to some owners to have a new powertrain in their vehicle instead of spending said money on another.

There is a reason Ford and A/M companies rebuild engines, the demand is there sometimes it makes financial sense, sometimes it’s just gearheads being gearheads.....oh well the world goes on.

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score

Knowing that it's a ford it'll run pretty good for a couple of weeks before "uh-oh" kicks in lol

But hey at least its not a dodge/Chrysler product cause we all know damn right the car wont even start with a used, reman, or even a brand new engine, so while I disagree with your thoughts and believes I can attest to two things, 1. Its your money & 2. It ain't a dodge

(I sware if anyone on this thread vogues for a dodge you're a dead man walking)

BillAlex

Reaction score
Once again, my sincere Thanks. I am going to go ahead and rebuild with OEM parts for $3,800. At least it's local instead of ordering out a Jasper or Rock Auto (Sorry Rock, I know you advertise and support this group and most swear by you guys) and if something goes wrong within three years, I can throw a Rock through their window and get their attention.