Tow/haul mode experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casflynn

Reaction score
Been doing quite a bit of towing the last month with my 17 SWB limited and a 5000lb camper. Do you guys ever see 6th in tow/haul? Seems that mine stays in 5th. Central PA ain’t exactly flat, and I only go about 65 on the interstate, just seeing what you guys think. Does anyone tow without it turned on? I have been monitoring trans temps, nothing more than 205 which seems normal compared to everyday driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DExpy17

Reaction score
My camper is a bit heavier and on flat and downgrades, my expy is usually in 6th in tow haul. Western MD here, but have towed up US 15 to Harrisburg, then 76 to Morgantown. Headed to Shawnee State Park and Shanksville this weekend.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, my trailer is 6200 and on flats I'm in 6th most of the time, even over gently rolling hills with cruise set at 65 or 70. I'm running a 5 star tow haul tune and 91 octane fuel when towing so that might help. Loooove that turbo!

DExpy17

Reaction score
Been doing quite a bit of towing the last month with my 17 SWB limited and a 5000lb camper. Do you guys ever see 6th in tow/haul? Seems that mine stays in 5th. Central PA ain’t exactly flat, and I only go about 65 on the interstate, just seeing what you guys think. Does anyone tow without it turned on? I have been monitoring trans temps, nothing more than 205 which seems normal compared to everyday driving.

I was in 4th and 5th thru the mountain sections of the trip this weekend, flats and rolling hills was mostly 6th. Typically, Tow/Haul mode doesnt make a difference on flats or small rolling hills. The main thing it does is keep the tranny from constantly shifting on steeper/ longer grades. It also will down shift more aggressively when braking and holding constant speed down hill.

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I spent the weekend towing a car on a trailer 320 miles with my 2017 Expi. It is a route I have done many times with my 2014, but this was the first time with my 2017.

The good and the bad about the Ecoboost.
  • It tows better than my 2014
  • It does it quieter and with less drama (less down shifting)
  • Stays in 6th a good deal of the time. (6 speed transmission)
  • Gets worse gas mileage than my 2014 while pulling the same load over the same route.
Despite the 2017 getting better gas mileage then my 2014 in normal driving, it gets worse while towing. I think the reason is the fact it is easier to stay at highway speeds with the EcoBoost ... but by doing this ... it negatively impacted my mpg's.

Over all it was a two thumbs up experience! What are the groups thoughts?

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eco only applies when not towing. Put a trailer behind it and the truck turns into an ecoBEAST instead. I get roughly the same mpg as my 5.4 F150 got towing the same trailer on the same routes but as you said quieter and much less downshifting. No more worrying about losing speed climbing a hill or hearing that v8 roar at 4k rpm on hills.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I towed 1500 miles from CA to TX when I purchased my 2017. I didn't use tow/ haul mode, because I missed the button. For a 300 mile trip I just took, I used the tow/haul mode. The truck uses sixth more frequently when it's not in tow/haul mode. Part of the reason I went looking for the feature was because I thought it upshifted too frequently to sixth when towing. Having said that, it will still use sixth in tow/haul mode, just less frequently and only at the right combination of speed and grade. Sometimes I wished it would upshift because I was following a truck on level grades doing 65. Overall, the truck did well while towing in either mode, but with more frequent gear hunting in regular driving mode.

Michael McC

Reaction score
I always tow in manual mode. Easier on the transmission, and you can put it in 6th and it won't downshift unless you really lose a lot of speed. If it won't hold the speed, shift to 5, then shift back to 6 when conditions improve.
I recently took a trip with a friend in his Suburban with 150,000 miles. After listening to his transmission work overtime I gently suggested using manual mode. Wish I had been more forceful. The trans temp light went off and dash started beeping. He found his trans temp gauge, and it was over 260 degrees. We were able to limp to where we were going, and had a friend pull the boat on the return. Suburban made it home but needed a transmission rebuild.
Don't let your transmission shift too much, and watch your trans temp when towing.