Tow package for extra 4x4 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven’t run my 2019 in the sierras in snow yet. But it has all the advanced systems I mentioned above. None of which fix really bad driving decisions. But when used right they should give you impressive capability. Course tires matter too.

Plati

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with "chains" or "cables" on these puppies for mountain driving?

I was just in Whitefish Montana and was told a LOT of people run studded tires out there in winter. I cant do that because I drive it across country to get there.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know my dealer told me under no conditions to run traction devices. I had to sign a Ford form to this effect also.

Get the best snow rated all season and drive smart. By law I have to carry traction devices in the Sierras but have never used them on my other 4x4 and awd vehicles. The Expedition will be the same way.

However!!! If you get stuck and need to claw your way out they only go on the rear tires!!!

Rossue

Reaction score
Bought a new Expy XLT with 202A as recommended by Edmund's & others. Almost bought one w/o HD Trailer then found one with and it was only $500 more. This was at the end of August with the almost $10K rebates for 4 x 2 XLT's. So for less than $50K I got what I wanted(even the 20" wheels I could passed on) to tow a 4500# travel trailer and after a recent 4K mile trip will say am glad to have that package. Got 14.5 mpg towing and get 22 hwy- not that it matters that much. With the 3.73 it is a rocket off the line!

Last edited:

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know my dealer told me under no conditions to run traction devices. I had to sign a Ford form to this effect also.

Get the best snow rated all season and drive smart. By law I have to carry traction devices in the Sierras but have never used them on my other 4x4 and awd vehicles. The Expedition will be the same way.

However!!! If you get stuck and need to claw your way out they only go on the rear tires!!!

OK this is new to me - I have a full set of chains that I bought and tried once in my driveway on my 2006 Limited, and I was going to carry them in the 2018 XLT as well for mountain trips. Unfortunately I bought the ones in the picture and they are really too big for the clearances on this truck. The manual says it's rated for class S chains, 17 or 18 inch rims only, rear wheels only. So why did you have to sign this?
View media item 6973
All that said, anybody want to buy a set of 4 "slightly aggressive" snow chains? :banghead: :)

Plati

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread but wanted to get it out there.

Yes .. more than 1 dealer I spoke with said not to use chains on my 2014EL. I even checked with a Dealer in Salt Lake City because I figured it would be more relevant than in NYS. The Owners Manual section is copied below. I tried to find out if Ford offered a product but no product found. Owners Manual does kind of imply that cables are OK on the rear (and maybe the front) so this is why I was poking around here with Owners. Already found one person who has had an oops in this area. I think I'm gonna buy cables and only for the rear but have not decided on a product yet.

chains.jpg

Reaction score
FWIW, HD tow is included in various Ford packages that one might not expect to find it, including the Convenience Package, Special Edition Package, Texas Edition Package, Stealth Edition Package, and possibly others. So if shopping by window sticker alone just be aware the full content of these packages.

Ford periodically does package discount credits. If you are on the fence about the $3995 Special Edition package, know that it includes the $1570 HD tow and currently Special Edition has a $1060 credit, meaning you effectively can get some nice bonus options in addition to your HD tow for a meager $1365.

As a stand-alone option HD Tow is $1570, roughly 2.5% of a typical Expedition MSRP.

It doesn't seem like the 303A package (Stealth) includes the HD Tow Anymore? I seen a 2019 with Stealth and there were only 2 options for drive modes. HD Tow has 4 drive options right?

f55f45c7f783bb8d535e4c7e3058ec58.jpg95e65efa155b36d370becaa82b659ea6.jpg

Reaction score
Mine is just like that.

Interesting, thanks! Wonder why the Ford website says that 303A group comes with it. Maybe it did in earlier 2019s and they never updated the site?

• Stealth Edition Package
  • Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package
  • Driver Assistance Package

303A $7,153