Tow package for extra 4x4 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
So, I think I'm starting to understand how my 2014EL works. If I have it in AWD power will be delivered to front and rear wheels. If rear starts to slip then the computer will send more power to front wheels to try to keep them turning at same rate. I have a LSD in the rear so if one rear wheel starts to slip the computer will apply brakes to that wheel and the LSD will give more power to the other rear wheel. If I didn't have LSD in rear and one wheel started to slip then it would spin and I'd lose all traction in the rear. If I had a locker in the rear both rear wheels would turn at same speed and if one started to slip the other one would keep driving. Do I have this right? Oh .. and LSD's kind of stop working after 100K miles or so.

Wait … my 2014EL has non-limited-slip rear diff.
Just figured that out with axle code 16.

Last edited:

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With all the electronic crap on these newer vehicles, a locker can barely do its job, because the brakes often slam on before the locker can even lock up.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the electronic crap on these newer vehicles, a locker can barely do its job, because the brakes often slam on before the locker can even lock up.
Exactly, the 2007-2014 Expeditions with the Control Trac 4WD system have 4 wheel traction control with an off-road mode according to the manual. This applies brake pressure to wheels that are slipping via brake application and sends power to a traction wheel. They did away with the LSD in 2007 because the two would fight and in testing they found the 4 wheel traction control to be more effective than a single lsd. The traction control on mine is a totally different animal if in 2WD or 4WD. According to the manual off road mode is automatically engaged in the 4L selection which alters the braking bias.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
I would have thought a Locker locks it and runs that way … not kicks in when needed?

Its too complicated for my tiny little brain. Its like 5 dimensional chess. You have to know what year Expy you have and what (2WD AWD 4WD) drive it has and whether it has LSD or what traction control mode you're running in or if you installed an aftermarket product or whatever. I think I'll just leave it stock and run it in AWD and hope I'm ok!

Last edited:

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I think I'm starting to understand how my 2014EL works. If I have it in AWD power will be delivered to front and rear wheels. If rear starts to slip then the computer will send more power to front wheels to try to keep them turning at same rate. I have a LSD in the rear so if one rear wheel starts to slip the computer will apply brakes to that wheel and the LSD will give more power to the other rear wheel. If I didn't have LSD in rear and one wheel started to slip then it would spin and I'd lose all traction in the rear. If I had a locker in the rear both rear wheels would turn at same speed and if one started to slip the other one would keep driving. Do I have this right? Oh .. and LSD's kind of stop working after 100K miles or so.

The LSD has nothing to do with brakes. An LSD is inside the rear differential and can be either electronic or mechanical. It is possible that the LSD has stopped working but it usually takes a lot of miles and a lot of use for that to happen on the mechanical ones. I don't know what ford used. On the mechanical one there are clutch packs in there and they can wear out. Usually they can be rebuilt. Also, if you have an lsd they usually require special fluid or additives to work correctly, so if you replaced the rear fluid and didn't use the right stuff it will not work correctly. If it is electronic and isn't working it could just be a simple electrical issue that is preventing the clutches from engaging. Traction control if well designed in a 4x4 mode can simulate an LSD function by applying brake to the slipping wheel to the point the wheel with traction will get power transferred to it. This can work really well if done right, sometimes it is totally worthless. I don't have enough experience with ford's to know how well they did with it.

Ford does use a center multi disc differential lock which is actually a really nice feature and when in 4A will balance power front to back depending on traction. I believe it can even send 100% to the front wheels. If you have a 4H setting the center is locked and provides 50/50 bias as well as 4L which is a 50/50 bias but lower gearing. It actually is a really nice system. The 2018+ with the terrain management or whatever its called just uses different profiles in how it engages the center differential and how it used traction control. The terrain management systems can do a really good job if they are designed well.

My understanding of the 2018+ rear locker is that it is an electronic locker and when not engaged a limited slip or LSD. So under normal use if a rear tire begins to slip the clutch packs engage providing varied amounts of power to both wheels, probably never a full 50/50 bias but I don't know for sure. When activated a solenoid is going to push the clutch packs together and it should have a near 50/50 bias. I don't know for certain this to be the case but I do not believe it has a true mechanical lock like an ARB air locker would have, those types typically don't have LSD capability.

Probably the biggest down side to LSD's is that they require wheel speed to activate. A true locker doesn't require wheel speed. For normal day to day driving an LSD is nice to have and works pretty well and has nice street manners. They aren't great offroad for slow stuff but seem okay for mud in my experience. Full lockers are not street friendly at all and are a recipe to get you sideways and off the road really quick.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Generally if a locker is activate the traction control is turned off and if the locker is activated the rear wheels are turning at the SAME rate and traction control will see they are turning at the same rate and not activate any braking there anyway.

If we are talking LSD...maybe. Not sure how they are on the newer ford. If they are electronic and tied to the TCS then the TCS might activate the LSD rather than apply brakes.

PC Rob

Reaction score
I've had the heavy duty package in both my current and last (2006) Expeditions. while the need for it now regarding snow for me is minimal (Florida) I used to live in the Pocono mountains and certainly drove my share in heavy snow conditions! Came in handy though, dragging other sorry souls out of the ditches. When I do really appreciate it, is pulling a 5500 lb boat and trailer up those steep and slimy boat ramps here in the sunshine state! Some of these ramps are more slippery than the snowy roads up north.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360