Tow package fuel economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We were shocked when we went to settle up with the finance guy and he had options for 72 months and some longer. Then he was shocked when we wanted zero months.
But you have to ask "at what rate?" The captive finance arms need loans with good credit scores so they can mix them in with the high risk loans and sell them off in tranches as CDOs. And the parent companies need them to make those high risk loans to move product. So if you have a good credit score, you have the ability to create something they want (a low risk loan) and they have something you want (money). The trade happens via the captive finance company subsidizing the interest rate on your loan. Which means you can arbitrage the interest rates between what you can earn in your investment accounts vs what you have to pay in interest...

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We were shocked when we went to settle up with the finance guy and he had options for 72 months and some longer. Then he was shocked when we wanted zero months.

Maybe more like disappointed than shocked- the dealer makes a lot of money on financing- sometimes more than they do on the vehicle.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe more like disappointed than shocked- the dealer makes a lot of money on financing- sometimes more than they do on the vehicle.
We ended up financing a little to get deals on the warranty and maintenance plan. The rate was so low we would make more money on our cash than spend on the financing so it worked out for both parties.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But you have to ask "at what rate?" The captive finance arms need loans with good credit scores so they can mix them in with the high risk loans and sell them off in tranches as CDOs. And the parent companies need them to make those high risk loans to move product. So if you have a good credit score, you have the ability to create something they want (a low risk loan) and they have something you want (money). The trade happens via the captive finance company subsidizing the interest rate on your loan. Which means you can arbitrage the interest rates between what you can earn in your investment accounts vs what you have to pay in interest...
Very good point and we ended up financing some to save on the extended warranty and maintenance plan while also making more money on the cash we kept in the long run.

KenK

Reaction score
2018 XLT 4x4 Max with HD Tow pkg and 3.73 gears.
Computer says 13,000 mile lifetime is 19.5mpg but that is about 1 mpg optimistic. Haven't towed anything heavy enough to tax this thing so not sure about serious towing mpg. 21-22 mpg is typical on the highway. Mileage is great at 60mph, still good at 70mph, starts to taper off at 80mph.
Older 5.3L Suburban Z71 with 342 gears following the same commuter route averages 15-16 so I am very pleased with the Expy's fuel mileage and power.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can’t afford the gas you can’t afford the truck. An old man used to tell me that when I was younger. Quit your crying lol

I usually pay cash or payoff within a year or two (if there is a 0% rate or something silly) but still care about gas mileage.

Making money is the easy part. Keeping and growing it is the harder part.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Filled up the 2014 (5.4, 3.73 rear) this morning after just over 300 miles of local driving.

Pretty surprised it calculated out to 20.2 mpg. Best since we got it. Then again, going down the roads it's only running about 1100 rpm at 40/45 mph.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
19 Platinum standard length with heavy tow pack/gear set. 18mpg in town typical kid shuttle stuff. Road trips 21-22mpg 65-75mph so far.

Considering my past Trucks were Toyotas LC at 12mpg down hill with tail wind and a Sequoia 15-16mpg regardless of use type

The Expedition is impressive. Hell my Subaru typically returned 26-28mpg with nearly 300hp less ha ha.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I was offered 0% for 72 months.

I took this versus paying up front. This way my cash earns interest as I pay off the vehicle. :) Win-win, IMO.