tow package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

getnbzi

Reaction score
hi I was just looking at the list of options on my 2017 limited and it says Class IV towing equipment hitch harness and and brake controller is that considered the package or is the more that there needs to be I have about 3500 lb bass boat and wondering what else I might need

thnx

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have the towing package, the rear end gears would be 3.73 also. The class IV trailer tow package on the window sticker would also indicate an updated tow package. Even if you didn’t have the tow package, a 3,500 boat would be no problem to tow. I recently towed a 18,000 pound house boat with my Silverado with no problems, even though it was only a five mile tow I was a tad nervous to say the least as the houseboat was at least three times the size of my truck.....good luck!!

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HD Tow does not include the 3.73 axles, they're a separate option. Used to be included but not in the 2017 models.

-- Chuck

On the 18s the 3.73 gears are part of the HD Tow package per the window stickers. Didn’t know on the 17s or earlier models you could get other rear gear options with the HD tow package......thanks for the information, appreciate it.....

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe for 15+ that ALL EL models got the 3.73 gears regardless of having HD tow or not. On the short wheelbase models, 3.31 was an available option and pretty standard fair from what I found when shopping for my EL.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On 07-14’ the 3.73s came on 4WD models I believe 3.31s were only on 4x2.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I order all my SUVs with HD tow starting with my '02 Explorer. It's like $300 from the factory.

The '02 Explorer and the '07 Expedition had the 3.73LS axles, the '17 Expedition has 3.31. The '17 tows my travel trailer much better than the previous two.

-- Chuck

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a non tow package EL XLT. I added a non ford brake controller and 7 pin connector to replace the 4pin. I pull a 5000+ utility trailer a few times a year with no problems. MY EL has the 3.73 gears.

To answer your question, the HD tow package also has a higher capacity radiator. transmission cooler, etc. It's all listed on this brochure.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...df/brochures/17RV&TT_Ford_Expedition_Sep7.pdf

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On 07-14’ the 3.73s came on 4WD models I believe 3.31s were only on 4x2.

My ’13 is a 4x4 with the 3.31 final drive ratio and the equipment group 203A, which included the “Heavy Duty Trailer Tow” package. For info, my Expy’s rear axle does not have the limited slip differential.