Tow Upgrades and Guidance - 2021 Expedition XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

expeditionDrvr

Reaction score
Hi -

I have a new to me (9K miles) 2021 Expedition XLT. It has does not have the max tow package, so here are the configurations:
- 7,200 GWAR with 1760 max cargo weight.
- 3.15 Rear Axle
- 4x2
Hitch Details:
- 4 Pin and 7 Pin
- Weight Carrying Max of 6,000 pounds with tongue weight of 600 pounds.
- Weight Distributing Max of 9,000 pounds with tongue weight of 900 pounds.

Details on towing:

I also purchased a 2019 Solaire Palomino 240 BHS. It has a "Dry Weight" (includes LP, but no fluids) of 5,210 pounds. I don't plan to tow it with fluids, but lets assume it will be 6,000 pounds to be safe. GWAR is 6,710. Hitch dry weight of 566 pounds. It has a weight distributing hitch.

Dilemma: I plan to do a long road trip (thousands of miles, hills etc.) I am trying to understand if I can safely modify the SUV to alleviate some towing issues without trading in for a Class IV Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package (536). Here are the upgrades I'm aware of:
- 3.73 rear axle. This cannot be altered on the XLT as I understand it's a complete different process.
- Trailer Brakes. I think this would be an easy installation by myself or the dealer?
- Radiator Upgrade. Is this just auxiliary transmission or a full radiator upgrade? Is auxiliary transmission fairly straight forward to install?
- Backup Assist - Not Required
- Upgraded Sway Bar? Part Number?
- 4x4 - Can't upgrade.
- I miss anything?

mrmustang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi -

I have a new to me (9K miles) 2021 Expedition XLT. It has does not have the max tow package, so here are the configurations:
- 7,200 GWAR with 1760 max cargo weight.
- 3.15 Rear Axle
- 4x2
Hitch Details:
- 4 Pin and 7 Pin
- Weight Carrying Max of 6,000 pounds with tongue weight of 600 pounds.
- Weight Distributing Max of 9,000 pounds with tongue weight of 900 pounds.

Details on towing:

I also purchased a 2019 Solaire Palomino 240 BHS. It has a "Dry Weight" (includes LP, but no fluids) of 5,210 pounds. I don't plan to tow it with fluids, but lets assume it will be 6,000 pounds to be safe. GWAR is 6,710. Hitch dry weight of 566 pounds. It has a weight distributing hitch.

Dilemma: I plan to do a long road trip (thousands of miles, hills etc.) I am trying to understand if I can safely modify the SUV to alleviate some towing issues without trading in for a Class IV Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package (536). Here are the upgrades I'm aware of:
- 3.73 rear axle. This cannot be altered on the XLT as I understand it's a complete different process.
- Trailer Brakes. I think this would be an easy installation by myself or the dealer?
- Radiator Upgrade. Is this just auxiliary transmission or a full radiator upgrade? Is auxiliary transmission fairly straight forward to install?
- Backup Assist - Not Required
- Upgraded Sway Bar? Part Number?
- 4x4 - Can't upgrade.
- I miss anything?

Properly set up weight distribution hitch, with anti sway control bar should be done by the selling/servicing dealer of the travel trailer. If not set up correctly, it could do more harm than good.
Electric brakes should be on both axles of the travel trailer, confirm with your selling or servicing dealer.
Buy a digital brake controller, as they can be set for delay and intensity of the braking desired.
Unless you are planning to head over the Rockies, your stock radiator should be just fine. I do suggest you flush the cooling system, and add a coolant booster/lubricant (I personally like Motor Max) to the coolant and you will be fine.
With the weight distribution hitch with sway control (basically an adjustable slide bar on the weight distribution hitch assembly), you should not need an aftermarket sway bar.

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's an aerodynamic limitation for towing without HD Tow as well. It's not just the weight. It's in the towing guide. I think you can upgrade the rear to an aftermarket LSD, like a Detroit truetrac if you have the 9.75 rear. The dealer should be able to install and program a brake controller but you'll need the 7 pin connector as well.

OP
OP
E

expeditionDrvr

Reaction score
Thank you @mrmustang . Very Helpful!

1) Your saying anti-sway bar. I have the Fastway Progress Mfg 94-00-1000 E2 10K. It does not have anti-sway I believe. Should I upgrade? Is there a preferred model?
2) Do you suggest a brake controller? I assume it would be better than stock ford?
3) I'll look into motor max.

@JasonH
1) I'll check out the aerodynamic limitations.
2) I'll look into the Detroit truetrac.
3) I have the 7 pin and connection for brake controller. I might look aftermarket though...

mrmustang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you @mrmustang . Very Helpful!

1) Your saying anti-sway bar. I have the Fastway Progress Mfg 94-00-1000 E2 10K. It does not have anti-sway I believe. Should I upgrade? Is there a preferred model?
2) Do you suggest a brake controller? I assume it would be better than stock ford?
3) I'll look into motor max.

@JasonH
1) I'll check out the aerodynamic limitations.
3) I have the 7 pin and connection for brake controller. I might look aftermarket though...
1: Anti Sway bar for the truck, not the trailer
2: Reese Towpower is what I would suggest, plenty of others on the market equally sufficient
2A: The wiring is under the dash for the brake controller, Ford parts has an adapter for the plug to the brake controller unit. If you can change a light bulb, and are not color blind, it's a few minutes of your time to wire up and install.
3: Motor Max (I use it in my road race cars) is just one brand, Redline Water Wetter, Purple Ice, Hyper Lube, or any number of coolant additives for your 50/50 mix.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@JasonH

Just to clarify, technically the LSD isn't required. I included it because it was an option with some 3.73 gearing packages and I assumed you were trying to mimic that configuration. You could just get the 3.73 ring and pinion. But I can't imagine going that far and not having the LSD added too.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear axle is actually larger on the 3.73 tow pack units from what I understand!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let's be clear, NO aftermarket brake controller is as good as the built in. It gets its marching orders from the ECM/BCM in the Expedition itself, and can actually pulse the trailer brakes independent to the truck to stop sway. It communicates directly with the ABS also.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let's be clear, NO aftermarket brake controller is as good as the built in. It gets its marching orders from the ECM/BCM in the Expedition itself, and can actually pulse the trailer brakes independent to the truck to stop sway. It communicates directly with the ABS also.
I have a prodigy and redarc pro that I use in other vehicles and I would have to say the factory ford brake controller is top notch. It also isn't expensive and is easy to install from what I have read and it looks WAY better than anything else you will put on.