Towing - 2007 Expedition EL Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
Tow rating for the 2007 Expedition EL is 6,000#, 4x2 or 4x4. With the HD tow package it's 9000# 4x2, 8750# 4x4 (due to weight of 4x4 equipment). That means your trailer should weight no more than 5,000# at the max!! You have a little "wiggle room" with the max tow rating, but remember, the rating includes the load in the vehicle and the trailer. Even if you travel light (no fresh water in the tank, for example) you will have at least 1000# with passengers and luggage, maybe more.

You can upgrade your truck fairly easy to tow another 1000# (7000# total). Add a transmission cooler, or a larger transmission cooler if one is present (I'm not sure the standard model has one). That's been done with trucks for ages! To get the 9000# capacity you would need to change the gear in the rear from the current 3.31 to the tow package 3.73. I don't know if the rear springs were rated higher in the tow package or not. You can get Sumo spring boosters if necessary. These are just a rubber piece that goes between two of the coils in the rear springs. Without a load they really don't do much, but when you load the rear the springs compress more, and the rubber insert prevents them from compressing as much. Also, use a weight distributing hitch.

Other than the larger trans cooler and lower rear gear the tow package just consisted of a Class III hitch and 7 pin trailer connector. It's fairly easy to upgrade the connector, but you will have to run a couple wires from the front of the truck to the back, at least one from the battery. You can get a kit for this from most hitch stores. You can use any brake controller, but they can be unsightly. I used a Hopkins Insight partially hidden controller in my 2005 -- there are better ones now, like a Redarc or Curt 51170... but they cost a bit more. If those had been available a few years ago when I installed mine I may have gone for the few extra bucks. Happy with my Insight though.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kind of surprised the EL Limited wouldn't have HD tow. I know you said you had 4-pin, but could it have both 4-pin and 7-pin? My 2003 XLT had both. Perhaps the original owner removed it or replaced it with non-OEM 4-pin only? I'd look over it carefully.

Factory brake controller wasn't introduced until around 2011 or 2012. For yours you'd be better off getting a Tekonsha P3. Very good unit. You can buy the "Ford wiring harness" so it just plugs in under the dash. No splicing wires. It's also convenient because you can remove the brake controller in off season when you're not using it.

Check out the following link for tow guides. If it does have HD tow you ought to tow around 8600-8900. If you go by the 70% rule, you should look for a trailer that's around 6000-6200lbs empty.

https://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Trailer-Life-Towing-Guide-2007.pdf

sesmith

Reaction score
First, here's a link so you can put your vin in and see what equipment is on it (use capital letters when putting in the vin#). You used to be able to do this on the Ford Etis site but looks like it may not work anymore. This one does:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php?

It will also show you max trailer specs under equipment. It looks like you do have the 3.73 rear axle.

Here's a link to the ford towing guide for 2007:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...eet/towing-guides/Ford_Linc_07RVTTowGuide.pdf

It also shows the towing weight depending on equipment. It also shows you what would come extra in the heavy duty towing package for that year if you had it (you don't). (see pages 20 and 14)

If you look at that chart, you will see that the important stuff your truck would lack for heavy duty towing is a larger radiator cooler and possibly a larger radiator. The reason I say possibly, is because I went though that exercise with our local ford parts guy when we bought our 2007 Expedition that was similarly equipped to yours. He found only 1 part # (the heavier duty radiator) listed for that year, so either they put the same one in all the expeditions, or they now only have 1 replacement. I decided to just watch the temp gauge on ours when towing (6500 lb boat trailer). It has never run the slightest bit hot, so no issues on ours. I did replace our smaller trans. cooler with the larger cooler spec'd for the heavy duty tow package. Hitches are the same. 7 pin plug and brake controller easily added. Believe the harness is already there...plug and play.

Last edited: