Towing and 10 speed transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Towed in 4A this weekend, I found the stability a lot more appealing, could feel the difference when going back to 2H. I also thought it was interesting to see under the 4wd menu the distribution of power to each wheel. I could see it was shifting power to the front going up hill. It was also interesting to see what it would do when using the engine/tranny to slow coming downhill. Seems more impactful when using all four and less impact to temp. Overall, I found it more appealing.

Deep8174

Reaction score
Currently on a Rockies trip in British Columbia. Mileage was horrible overall at around 6mpg with an average elevation of 20k feet. Other than when driving on the incline the expy is towing great (temps go up a couple of degrees but no indication of overheating). On flatter terrain and lower elevation in Alberta I’m getting on average 12mpg. Towing a 6500lbs trailer. Doing the reverse starting tomorrow and we’ll see how it goes.

F95F09A1-6F37-4538-B9F9-930E4AC3C0F5.jpg

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[...] with an average elevation of 20k feet. Other than when driving on the incline the expy is towing great (temps go up a couple of degrees but no indication of overheating).
How is the braking on grades? Are you letting the vehicle choose the gears, or doing it yourself? Any concerns about brake fade?

Deep8174

Reaction score
How is the braking on grades? Are you letting the vehicle choose the gears, or doing it yourself? Any concerns about brake fade?
Tow mode chooses the gears and it works great. I’ve tried M but it seems like tow mode does it better than I can. No concerns about brake fade I don’t use it often on down grades anyway.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Tow mode chooses the gears and it works great. I’ve tried M but it seems like tow mode does it better than I can. No concerns about brake fade I don’t use it often on down grades anyway.
I am now convinced I prefer locking out gears vs tow mode or Manual. I feel I can anticipate it better and manage it earlier when I am more comfortable. In tow mode, I see the cars slowing and press the brake and it still takes 10 seconds before it decides to downshift. I also am better prepared for grades when I can anticipate and slow the vehicle by downshifting earlier. I still have the car in tow mode but I am usually controlling when it shifts. I do notice that if I had downshifted and open up a higher gear it takes a while before it will shift up unless I press the gas pedal. I imagine in less traffic and flatter grades it probably does just fine. Towing a boat out to the Ozarks in a couple of weeks, I will probably keep 9-10 locked out and let it roll in Tow mode. It is only about 3500 lbs.