Towing and offroading impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Made the first towing venture with the new Expedition (2019 XLT Max with Tow package). The trailer isn't really heavy and only tops out at 5k. This is mainly a comparison to the 2010 Jeep Commander 5.7L Hemi that was our tow vehicle.

This trip was from Salt Lake City to Moab. Elevation at home is about 4200', highest pass on trip was about 7500' and Moab is at about 4000'. Not a huge climb or anything but it is a trip I do several times a year with the trailer so I am very familiar with it. I typically tow at 65-70mph.

Not once did I ever feel like the expedition was even straining, not sure I ever saw the rpm's above 2500. Not sure if its the engine or the 10 speed transmission but it never even broke a sweat. The transmission was ALWAYS in the right gear and was amazing. Gas mileage was an average of 11-12 while towing, which was about where I expected it to be and better than the Hemi (it got 9-10 towing).

I do use a WDH and didn't notice any noticeable sag in the rear, I probably didn't get it setup quite right for the Expedition (hitch height is lower than the jeep and angles didn't seem the same) I need to make a minor tweak there to clean it up a bit.

The integrated brake controller was nice, seemed to work great. I didn't notice anything odd or really much of a different feel than the prodigy I used in the jeep. The prodigy does feel more progressive, not sure if the factory option is progressive or not.

I was absolutely blown away by how smooth the Expedition is offroad. It was hands down better than the jeep by a long shot. Washboard roads may as well have been smooth highway. I was seriously blown away. I did encounter some soft sand while turning around and parking in a wash and had a bit of worry set in as I felt the rear end sink. I switched the drive mode to the sand setting and hit the diff lock button and away it went like nothing happened. I was super impressed. This will never be a big offroader (have a big 4 door wrangler for that) but we do a lot of dirt roads to get to mountain bike locations, camping, and rock hounding. I wouldn't hesitate to take this everywhere I have taken my jeep commander and maybe even some places I didn't take it. I do want to look into the fx4 skid plates though.

Overall, I have zero regrets going with the expedition over the jeep commander.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great review~

The 3.5L makes so much torque down low it tows great!

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
EJS? What did you tow down?

Just the camper and mountain bikes. The whole family doesn't fit in the JK anymore, so we do less "jeeping" than we used to but we still enjoy EJS weekend. Jeep trails are great in moab but mountain biking is super awesome too. We are down there around easter almost every year.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Moab is fun

Mud, dirt, dunes, snow, all within spitting distance of each other

Which fuel do you use on the ecoboost? Seems like most of the regular in the area is labelled 85 octane... works fine with the V8's though

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which fuel do you use on the ecoboost? Seems like most of the regular in the area is labelled 85 octane... works fine with the V8's though

Regarding the 85 octane: octane requirements are supposed to decrease with increasing altitude. I live in Denver- every station around here is 85 octane for the cheap stuff. And I believe 91 is the highest you can go (maybe 92). Not sure where it transitions to 87 octane.

However, I’ve read conflicting data that doesn’t support the high altitude claim- especially with newer vehicles.

For grins last summer, I ran 3 tanks back-to-back with 87 octane. I ran each tank down pretty low to get as much of the old stuff out as possible. Mileage was largely unaffected. Power seemed to be slightly better- but not enough to fully convince me. Truck ran the same otherwise. And I spent several dollars more for each of those fillups.

I run 85 octane in all my vehicles here.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I have read (not sure of the truth behind any of it) but the ecoboost likes higher octane. So, I have been running premium in it. I always ran premium in the Hemi when towing and around town I didn't care. I never got better than about 12-13mpg in the jeep commander. So, with the increase in gas mileage with the expedition and paying for premium I still am ahead when it comes to paying for fuel. I thought the manual also recommends premium. Its fairly common for vehicles to de-tune if fuel isn't up to *****. I'm not smart enough to know if it makes a big difference on this one or not.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use premium when towing and the cheap stuff around town. When towing, the cost different between regular and premium is essentially offset by the increased fuel economy (the cost difference is about 10-15% around here).

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the owners manual it should detail this, but when towing or in very hot conditions, premium fuel should be used to better performance, I believe its stated that 93 octane is ideal.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the owners manual it should detail this, but when towing or in very hot conditions, premium fuel should be used to better performance, I believe its stated that 93 octane is ideal.

It does:

“For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer.”