Towing capacity for a 1997 4X4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chadinfla

Reaction score
I have the 5.4 Eddi Bauer with 4x4. could i tow a 21 foot boat with the reese hitch? What about a 20 enclosed trailer with several motorcycles?

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check out your owners manual for your GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) it will also tell you how much the trailer can weigh.

If you don't have your owners manual here is a link:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

Then you will need to figure out how much your trailers weigh and you will also need to find out what your hitch rating is since you stated it is a Reese.

Sorry couldn't help more but your question was lacking alot of info to give a straight awnser! If you post up your hitch rating and trailer weights we will be glad to help out more.

BTW - with either of those trailers you are going to have to have some kind of trailer brakes either hydrolic surge or electric.

Boats will usually have surge brakes (because electricity and water do not play nice) so for that you would not need to add anything, but the enclosed trailer will probably have electric brakes on it which means you will need to install a brake controller or the brakes will not function.

firemann32

Reaction score
I have a 98' Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4l and I have towed a 25' enclosed trailer with 5 quads and a load of gear no problems, well let me refrase that. I used a load equalizer and I wasn't going to break any speed records, I was running 3000 rpms to stay at 65 mph and I got like 6 mpg, that was from Springfield, MO to Wynoka, OK (Little Sahara), on the way back I ran 3500-4000 rpms and ran about 70+.

You should have no problem towing a 21 foot boat as long as its not a cabin cruiser (sleeping quarters) and a 20 foot enclosed trailer should be fine too.

I believe the stated towing capacity on mine is 8000 pounds.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOWEXD/~MUS~LEN/41/98exdog1e.pdf

Page 119

Last edited:

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 98' Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4l and I have towed a 25' enclosed trailer with 5 quads and a load of gear no problems, well let me refrase that. I used a load equalizer and I wasn't going to break any speed records, I was running 3000 rpms to stay at 65 mph and I got like 6 mpg, that was from Springfield, MO to Wynoka, OK (Little Sahara), on the way back I ran 3500-4000 rpms and ran about 70+.

You should have no problem towing a 21 foot boat as long as its not a cabin cruiser (sleeping quarters) and a 20 foot enclosed trailer should be fine too.

I believe the stated towing capacity on mine is 8000 pounds.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOWEXD/~MUS~LEN/41/98exdog1e.pdf

Page 119

You are correct that the Expy will haul it with out a problem, BUT since he stated that it has a RESSE hitch that makes me think HE DOES NOT HAVE THE FACTORY TOW PACKAGE!

If he starts putting on that kind of weight with out making sure that he has a class IV hitch he could be putting lives in danger. Also with out the tow package that means he does not have the aux. trans cooler and could end up blowing the tranny up.

If you just have the mentallity that it will haul it no matter what some one is going to get hurt eventually, that is why I asked him to put up the other info to advise if his truck is capable!

firemann32

Reaction score
You are correct that the Expy will haul it with out a problem, BUT since he stated that it has a RESSE hitch that makes me think HE DOES NOT HAVE THE FACTORY TOW PACKAGE!

If he starts putting on that kind of weight with out making sure that he has a class IV hitch he could be putting lives in danger. Also with out the tow package that means he does not have the aux. trans cooler and could end up blowing the tranny up.

If you just have the mentallity that it will haul it no matter what some one is going to get hurt eventually, that is why I asked him to put up the other info to advise if his truck is capable!

Good point, mine is a factory equipped tow system.

etrailer

Reaction score
Racenut is dead on. Follow his recommendations. Do your homework first and you'll know exactly what your Expedition is capable of. If you can't find the info in the manual, you can also contact Ford with your VIN to get the ratings.

OP
OP
C

chadinfla

Reaction score
I was incorrect in stating the hitch was specifically a Reese hitch. As far as I can see there is no brand name located on the hitch. The plug is a 7pin round plug. How do I check to see if it has a larger or heavier duty intercooler for the trans?

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have the 7 pin plug at the back then you very well may have the HD tow package. If you look in front of the radiator ( thru the grille ) you will see a small cooler on the drivers side which is your power steering cooler, and if you do have the tow package then you will see another cooler on the passanger side which is the aux trans cooler if equipped.

If you do have the HD tow package then you are equipped with a class IV hitch and will have a GCWR ( Gross Combined Weight Rating = Weight of Expy and all gear and passangers + weight of trailer) depending on your gear ratio of :

4x4

Engine | Gear Ratio | Rim Size | GCWR | Max trailer weight

5.4 L | 3.31 | (16 in) (12000 lb) (0-6400 lb)

5.4 L | 3.73 | (16 in) (13500 lb) (0-7900 lb)

5.4 L | 3.73 | (17 in) (13000 lb) (0-7400 lb)

(above info taken from the 1997 Ford Expedition Owners manual pg. 128)

Link to Owners Manual :

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOVEXD/~MUS~LEN/41/97exdog1e.pdf

Once you find out which gear ratio you are equiped with ( if you don't know take your VIN # to your local Ford dealers parts department and have them pull a "as built" spec sheet - this will give you all info about your truck including gear ratio and IF IT IS EQUIPPED with the HD tow package) then you can go down and have your Expy scaled out to find out your exact curb weight ( make sure to have the gas tank full ) then do the fallowing calculation :

GCWR - Gross = Weight of trailer

Example:

GCWR of 13,500
Curb weight (for example only) 5,600

13,500 - 5,600 = 7,900lbs

So for the above example you could safely haul a trailer that weighs 7,900# but at this weight you would have to have a LOAD DISTRIBUTION HITCH, AND SOME SORT OF BRAKES EITHER SURGE OR ELECTRIC!

Don't forget that any time you add more "gear" or another person inside the Expy that you need to deduct that weight from the amount of weight you can safley haul (the weight of trailer you can haul will decrease). If you fallow this you will always be within your vehicles limits.

Happy towing and if you have any other ? feel free to ask :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chadinfla

Reaction score
If you have the 7 pin plug at the back then you very well may have the HD tow package. If you look in front of the radiator ( thru the grille ) you will see a small cooler on the drivers side which is your power steering cooler, and if you do have the tow package then you will see another cooler on the passanger side which is the aux trans cooler if equipped.

If you do have the HD tow package then you are equipped with a class IV hitch and will have a GCWR ( Gross Combined Weight Rating = Weight of Expy and all gear and passangers + weight of trailer) depending on your gear ratio of :

4x4

Engine | Gear Ratio | Rim Size | GCWR | Max trailer weight

5.4 L | 3.31 | (16 in) (12000 lb) (0-6400 lb)

5.4 L | 3.73 | (16 in) (13500 lb) (0-7900 lb)

5.4 L | 3.73 | (17 in) (13000 lb) (0-7400 lb)

(above info taken from the 1997 Ford Expedition Owners manual pg. 128)

Link to Owners Manual :

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOVEXD/~MUS~LEN/41/97exdog1e.pdf

Once you find out which gear ratio you are equiped with ( if you don't know take your VIN # to your local Ford dealers parts department and have them pull a "as built" spec sheet - this will give you all info about your truck including gear ratio and IF IT IS EQUIPPED with the HD tow package) then you can go down and have your Expy scaled out to find out your exact curb weight ( make sure to have the gas tank full ) then do the fallowing calculation :

GCWR - Gross = Weight of trailer

Example:

GCWR of 13,500
Curb weight (for example only) 5,600

13,500 - 5,600 = 7,900lbs

So for the above example you could safely haul a trailer that weighs 7,900# but at this weight you would have to have a LOAD DISTRIBUTION HITCH, AND SOME SORT OF BRAKES EITHER SURGE OR ELECTRIC!

Don't forget that any time you add more "gear" or another person inside the Expy that you need to deduct that weight from the amount of weight you can safley haul (the weight of trailer you can haul will decrease). If you fallow this you will always be within your vehicles limits.

Happy towing and if you have any other ? feel free to ask :D

I see a small cooler on the drivers side and a larger(twice the size) cooler on the passenger side.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have that large cooler on the passanger side then I am pretty positive that you have the factory HD tow package. So all of the weights from above would be the max weights that your expy can handle.