Towing Capacity Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Carroll

Reaction score
Ok so I bought my 2016 Expedition EL Platnium used and didn't pay much attention to the tow package as I didnt have any intentions of towing. Now the wife really wants a camper, as do I, and I'm finding two different towing capacities based on whether or not I have the "HD" tow package. My expedition has built in electric trailer brake, the hitch, a 4 pin and 7 prong plug, as well as setting tan in the dash board infotainment center that I can select for towing option and trailer connect and such. Can anyone tell me if that indicates an HD package? Or is there something I can look for? Axle code is 3L.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you do have the HD tow package, I believe it was standard on Platinums during that time frame. Some other's may have more info.

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WD and sway control hitch, you need both (I have an Equilizer 4 way and am very pleased)!...And ALWAYS use tow/haul mode when towing!...IMHO don't tow anything over about 25', regardless what others opine...

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The payload (not the tow rating) will be your weight limit. You didn't say what size campers you were evaluating or how many people you plan to have with you, but I suggest staying under 7,500 GVWR for the trailer. If you can get a lightweight camper, that's even better as it will give you more margin on the tongue weight.