Towing Cruiselite/Wildwood 282QBXL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rebmoc

Reaction score
Hi All,
This is my first post, I have been here for a couple months searching the 30’ plus trailer thread and others while researching my purchase of a travel trailer (in addition to the camper forums so I already know I need an F350 and no kids!). I bought a 2020 2wd Max w HDTP and 1815 payload on the sticker. All 6 people loaded and full fuel leave us with 1200lb payload and 1120 on the rear axle. I want to buy the Salem Cruise lite 282QBXL, and I would like an update from those of you who have this similar model and if you are still “happy enough” with the combo (given no alternative of a TV), and specifically do you think the single A/C unit will keep up with Florida temps? We live in Florida and plan mostly east coast camping for a few years. I appreciate all the knowledge picked up here so far!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have that trailer model. I don't think we could have done much better, given the payload limitations. I've had some quality issues with the trailer. Thankfully, I purchased an extended warranty. It tows very well, once you get the weights distributed properly. I use a Husky Centerline 32218.

The single AC would be better as a 15K BTU instead of 13.5K. Maybe inquire if your dealer can do it. I'm in Southeast Texas. It's only adequate in the heat and humidity and cool down takes awhile if you've been traveling in middle of the day. Expect to see around 20 degree drop from ambient. We leave ours running 24/7 starting from the morning. If you can keep the trailer shaded to reduce heat gain, that would help tremendously. Once the trailer gets hot, it will take several hours to cool it down. The AC unit is pretty loud as well. I've seen people construct baffle boxes to reduce the noise, so that's something you might consider. I recommend a full outdoor kitchen, as it helps limit indoor cooking and the external fridge is very useful extra storage. We keep a induction cooktop and electric griddle in ours as well, which really helps with food prep outdoors.

The fridge can be prechilled for trips using a combination of propane and frozen gallon jugs of water or frozen water bottles. It took us awhile to figure this out, as the propane on our fridge didn't work when we first got the trailer.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase and trailering experience, despite the limitations of the single AC unit. For people traveling with family, I don't think there's much else out there that provides the right balance between payload and space constraints. We've had a blast on our trips. Every time we've come back to the trailer from a softball game it's been a relief to get out of the heat.

Kitchen.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rebmoc

Reaction score
Thanks Jason, that is great to hear. I expect some issues with the trailer, but for the size/weight it doesn’t sound like any of them are trouble free, and to make it work for the whole family is the key. I will ask about the larger A/C, thanks for that advice. Now we just need to get the Expedition back from the shop, just 2500 miles and there is a transmission/rear diff noise that really picks up above 40mph, especially when coasting. They have had it for 3 days and still haven’t diagnosed it,,,a head scratcher for sure.

Rj Smith

Reaction score
We're looking for a TT and love the lay out of the 282QBXL. Any updates from the road on this? Our TV will be a FX4 or HD trailer tow equipped 19 Expedition XLT.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We're looking for a TT and love the lay out of the 282QBXL. Any updates from the road on this? Our TV will be a FX4 or HD trailer tow equipped 19 Expedition XLT.

What do you want to know? It's a great option for the Expedition, as it pretty much maxes out the payload while providing ample space for families.

Rj Smith

Reaction score
@JasonH Actually your response earlier was very helpful in painting a picture for a newbie. As I do more forum digging I'm feeling more confident in purchasing both the Expy and an RV as I've never owned either. I'm not as handy as I'd like to be, and RV'ing looks like it demands handyman skills. For your extended warranty, is service limited to the dealer you purchased from or is it more a network solution for fixes on the go?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@JasonH Actually your response earlier was very helpful in painting a picture for a newbie. As I do more forum digging I'm feeling more confident in purchasing both the Expy and an RV as I've never owned either. I'm not as handy as I'd like to be, and RV'ing looks like it demands handyman skills. For your extended warranty, is service limited to the dealer you purchased from or is it more a network solution for fixes on the go?

I read somewhere that people get frustrated with their trailer because they think it's a car and should provide years of trouble-free operation, when in reality it's a house that moves down the road. So there's potential for all the normal house things to go wrong. If you can't DIY, dealer quality is paramount. In 3 years of ownership, I've had the following repairs completed, or outstanding:

(1) Front cap leak (defect, warranty repair)
(2) Stove knob replaced (defect, warranty repair)
(3) Refrigerator board replacement (defect, warranty repair)
(4) Stabilizer motor replacement (DIY, it was ripped off by a truck tread on the road)
(5) Slide leak (defect)
(6) Floor damage (small section from the slide leak)
(7) Bent stabilizer leg (my error, I was trying to drain water from the AC draining on top of my slide)
(8) AC drain (defect)
(9) Broken jack (newbie mistake, didn't chock the wheels)

We purchased in SoCal and live in a Houston suburb. Warranty work is done here in Texas. First warranty repair (Fun Town RV) was smooth, last one (Camping World) still hasn't happened after months of waiting. That might be a Camping World issue. Many people complain about their poor service. It's my first travel trailer...It may just be the price of ownership. I've also heard that Forest River isn't the greatest for quality, but I really have no basis for comparison.

Having said all this, I wouldn't replace the experiences my family has had with the camper. We've been on both coasts and to Northern New Mexico, as well as all over Texas. We've used it extensively for softball tournaments around Texas. I really want to tour the Western states and go visit my family back home in NY, but that's for the future.

In conclusion, trailering can be awesome. The Expedition is an awesome tow vehicle. The T282QBXL is an great layout.

Last edited:

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The beauty of owning an RV in today’s world is that we have access to the Internet while on the road.

Most RV’s use the same main components, so even though you may not find the issue on your particular TT, another brand will probably use the same refrigerator model, or water heater, etc. Also, winterizing is pretty similar across all RV’s if you are in a region where you need to do that every year.

Although I am handy and grew up in a family who owned a construction company, most “fixes” that are required on the road are usually pretty simple.

Worst case and you can’t do it yourself, you may find a friendly neighbor at the campground who either knows how to fix the issue or has the tools that you may need to complete the repair on your own.

You will love the Expedition when towing and good luck with the TT purchase. Don’t over think it and make sure you try to check off as many as the needs first. Wants should be second. Also, there is no perfect TT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Rebmoc

Reaction score
Update: We bought the 282QBXL and it is great for our family of 6! I got the Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH and it has towed well (500 miles so far). We have the MAX XLT 2WD with 1815 payload, so we have some room left for the boys to grow. The camper has a great layout. My expectations about fit and finish from here and other forums set the bar pretty low, and that resulted in my happiness to only have 2 minor issues with the camper after the first trip!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: We bought the 282QBXL and it is great for our family of 6! I got the Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH and it has towed well (500 miles so far). We have the MAX XLT 2WD with 1815 payload, so we have some room left for the boys to grow. The camper has a great layout. My expectations about fit and finish from here and other forums set the bar pretty low, and that resulted in my happiness to only have 2 minor issues with the camper after the first trip!

Congrats and happy travels!