Towing issues and could use some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fdmsiv

Reaction score
I have a 2016 2WD Expy Limited with tow package and I tow a 35ft 7,500lb TT with a Blue Ox WD hitch. I went through a couple hitches before settling on the Blue Ox and it makes the drive much more enjoyable. I also understand that our trailer is big but I with the Blue Ox I have not had any sway issues or trailer wagging. There are 2 issues that I have encounters and not sure how to approach:
1. While towing I am totally engaged with the truck, paying attention to every squeak, bump, and noise. Sometimes the truck feels like it is shifting weight from side to side. It isn't sway, it is not a horizontal motions but more like a rocking motion. My wife has yet to notice but I do. I am thinking either bilstein shocks in the rear or an aftermarket swaybar seems like the best bet but would like opinions as I don't have any experience with either. I have owned/own 4runner, tacoma, and LX470 so am very familiar with bilstein but have never installed their products.

2. I have relatively new load range E tires (~8k miles on them) with max air pressure of 80 psi and I typically air them up to 60 - 65psi while towing. About 90% of the time while towing the above trailer the TPMS dash light will go off sometimes as soon as 45mins other times hours into a trip. The rear passenger tire will be 10 - 15 psi higher than the other 3 tires which remain very close to each other. I understand that heat is the only think that can increase the tire pressure (assuming no little monsters are on the wheel inflating it as we drive) but the higher pressure tire doesn't feel hotter or any different that the others. I don't think it is a TPMS because I check all the tires with the same gauge. This may be related to the above issue but not sure. I have 3 kids and one does ride in the back on that side however is a 60lb kid going to make that much difference? I always air up the tires the night before the we leave and I always check pressures right before we leave.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bilstein dampers will definitely help with stability, especially if your existing stock ones have some miles on them. You will want to do all 4, not just the rears.

Are you measuring the tires with an accurate gauge - or relying on what TPMS says? If the tire is actually 10+ psi above the others, something is making that wheel hot. Most likely a dragging brake or wheel bearing.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the rear e-brake checked to make sure the pads aren't dragging. There's a small worm screw on the rear for the adjustment. It could also be that the camper has uneven lateral weight distribution and is putting more load on one side as compared to the other. Assuming the brakes are in good order, the only other thing I can thing of that will increase tire temp like that is load. The sun can also do it as well, but it seems like the front temp on that side would go up as well in that case. You can move the kid to the other side to see if that is contributing to the issue.

Regarding the handling, check your weights at a scale and make sure you're sending enough back to the front axle. I overloaded my rear once and the ride was terrible until adjusted my hitch. It was very bouncy and the truck would rock back and forth over bumps. The other thing is that struts wear over time, so it could just be that your struts are wearing out, but it's only noticeable when towing.

OP
OP
F

fdmsiv

Reaction score
Are you measuring the tires with an accurate gauge - or relying on what TPMS says? If the tire is actually 10+ psi above the others, something is making that wheel hot. Most likely a dragging brake or wheel bearing.

The TPMS only lights up the low tire indicator, no actual pressure is given that I can tell from the dash. Is there a way to display the tire pressures at the dash? Is there a way to check the bearing? I don't think there are any noises that I'd associate with a wheel bearing going out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fdmsiv

Reaction score
Get the rear e-brake checked to make sure the pads aren't dragging. There's a small worm screw on the rear for the adjustment.
I will look into this as the only time I use the E brake is while camping. Living in Houston TX I almost forget that cars have Ebrakes.

OP
OP
F

fdmsiv

Reaction score
Why are you lowering the PSI of you tires when you tow? Is this recommended by your tire manufacturer?
I usually keep the tires at the pressures on the door sticker, around 35 psi if memory serves. I raise the pressures for towing to better handle the load.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Door jam tire pressure only applies to the tires listed on the sticker -- the P-metric radials that came on the truck when new. Gonna take some research since they were replaced with aftermarket tires.

The OEM tires are/were fully capable of handling the entire weight of the truck at the noted pressure (35psi). More pressure does not increase weight capacity.

-- Chuck

2010ELExpy4x4

Reaction score
We had a similar issue while towing our TH.
It seemed that the blue tooth in the trailer sound system might have been causing the problem, the radio was wired to be powered all the time (simplified explanation) , I installed a switch to turn it off. Seems to have solved the problem. I believe tpms runs around 513mhz .
We had E rated tires then also, I don't know if the higher pressure can also be a problem.
Have since gone back to P rated.
As far as the sway problem if you are running a hitch sway control you should be turning off factory sway control, which is on always, and must be turned off after each start up.

Last edited: