Towing MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rod240sx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My name is Rod and I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased a 2006 Ford Expedition limited and love the truck.

I wanted to ask you guys what kind of mileage you all are getting during towing conditions? I participate in small racing events across the east coast and decided to invest on a better truck and trailer setup this year thus purchasing the 06' Expi with the tow-package and a 20ft enclosed trailer. However, this weekend I towed for the first time and was shocked to see that I was averaging 7.5 MPG!

I installed a K&N intake kit and the prodigy P-3 brake controller. I also had a tune-up done at a friends shop right after I purchased the truck and had the spark plugs replaced (a nightmare and a 4 day job), fuel filter, new belts, and the works...

The trailer is a 20FT enclosed - weight is appox 4,000lbs. The car weights 2,600lbs - so total weight of about 7,000 rounding it up.

With the car loaded on the trailer I was averaging 7.5 mpg and with the empty trailer i was averaging 9.5.

Are you guys seeing similar MPG's? Any tips or suggestions on improving gas mileage? Would one of those piggy-back computers like the EDGE or Superchips be of any help?

Without the trailer and a combination of city and highway driving; I'm averaging 13.5 - 14 which isn't great either...

Many thanks again in advance for any insight you can provide.

Best,
Rod

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no really compareable to what you are towing but i get 10 with my sled trailer with 4 sleds on it and it drops to 9 with my boat...

anything heavier i use my powerstroke it does much better

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are on the right track with putting in the K&N kit, now you need to open up the exhaust a bit. Put a good " free flowing muffler " like a Flowmaster or Magnaflow in there and it will really help. I recomend getting rid of the factory Y pipe and going with a Dual In / Single out muffler as this really helps a lot.

The Edge is also another great investment. Not only for the tune, but for the ability to " bump up " you shift pressures! It will make your trans shift more like a truck, and when towing this is important to prolong the life of the trans.

I run both of the above on my 2002 EB with the 5.4L ( I have also deleted my rear cats but I belive your '06 only has 1 per side unlike us 1st gens that had 2 per side ) and when towing a 7,500 - 8,000 # load I am averaging around 10 -11 Mpg and when I have the empy 18' car hauler ( 2,000 # )behind me I get about 14Mpg.

When I am unloaded ( No trailer ) I am averaging about 19Mpg on premium.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm right around 9 mpg towing my 17ft bowrider around.... otherwise I am in the 12s for regular MPG.... with the 37s...... but the edge is well worth the money if your looking for improvement.... the stock "towing" tune is great but if you look into a "custom tune" it will help out a lot... I read a lot about custom tunes on f150online... otherwise all my info is from here...

Reaction score
Constantly tell yourself " I love my expedition,its pulls my trailer great, the ride is awesome" and don't think of the mileage....thats what I do..

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine pulls our 30' TT great. At least 7000 lbs. Superchips Cortex tuner I get 8-9 MPG at 65 mph.

Soldier777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am in the 9-10 range pulling a old 64 15ft Travel trailer.. that thing is heavy as hell

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
trade up for a diesel! JK but even diesels arent much better than that towing, and the expy weighs 6K so it aint light!