Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry McNeil

Reaction score
I tow a 23 foot Air Stream with my 2017 Expedition, and wonder if there is anything I can about improving the overall stability of the combination. I use the Equil-I-zer brand load distribution hitch and am sure it’s properly setup. The trailer is twin axle, running slightly overdrive 16” Michelin tires. The truck is the shorter version Expi WITH the 9000 HD towing package. It is equipped with 275 55 20 Michelin’s. The truck is OEM. I can’t say that the ‘instability’ is actually sway, but it seems to me it could be improved. I’m looking for after market anti sway equipment OR tire change recommendations. I suppose less tall tires would be a help, and have heard of expedition anti sway after market stuff, but not really sure where to start. Any help out there? Ohh, the trailer is about 6000# and the hitch is giving me about 600# of young weight. Bothe the truck and the trailer are level.

fidget247

Reaction score
and wonder if there is anything I can about improving the overall stability of the combination.
All, I have the similar set-up to Larry, but I put on LT tires and pump them up to about 60 PSI (below the max) and that seemed to help. But regardless of the type of Travel Trailer I pull, I feel the truck is "darty", meaning it wants to dart from the front of the truck. I have had the load leveler professionally installed and via measurement, seems to be putting even pressure on both ends of the truck. And with the current TT I have, it is only 3500 lbs...so way below max. Still darty. Has anyone else had that problem and have you found a solution that makes highway driving less stressful?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
(1) Scale ticket. You need to know for certainty what your camper weight and axle loads are. Don't bother doing anything else before confirming those numbers.
(2) Load "E" tires and higher pressure. My 7K 33 ft' camper squirmed when towing. It wasn't sway, it just wiggled and felt mushy. Cooper AT3 and 65 psi in the tires fixed it. You might be able to go with "D" tires for a compromise. I just wanted maximum puncture resistance as well.

OP
OP
L

Larry McNeil

Reaction score
So, Helwig sway bars are great, but not likely to fix this issue? The stiffer sidewalls and higher pressure makes more sense to me. Other thoughts?

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pull a 4,000lbs enclosed trailer with my 2017 SWB, and I call the feeling feedback through the steering wheel. I never feel it's unstable, but you get more feedback from the trailer than in other vehicles I've pulled it with. I think it's a combination of a really stiff frame and 20 inch rims. Odly enough, I don't get the feeling pulling it with my 07 V8 Explorer; which is shorter, narrower, lighter, and has p rated tires on it. I'd like to put some 17 inch rims on my expedition and see if the feeling goes away.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LT tires properly inflated and Bilstein dampers.

KJFord

Reaction score
We have the same tires and HD tow package on our 2015 Expedition and tow a 24ft Winnebago dual axle running close to 7000# using a Fastway load leveling hitch. It tows great with no sway, with the only once having the Expedition kick in it's stability control whilst on a high bridge with very stiff cross-wind. We're based in Colorado so do a lot of high altitude towing, and have gone as far as Nova Scotia to the East and Oregon to the West. Have you checked the trailer tires carefully...wondering if they could be causing the problem?

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve been using the Andersen WDH/sway setup for 7 years towing a 3500 lb trailer. Solid tow…all the time in all conditions. 2014 HD tow package. Never had the TSC engage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357