Towing Travel Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Add the transmission cooler regardless of whether you tow or not. I've installed them on every non-car vehicle I've owned, including a few minivans, and never had a transmission issue. The Ford cooler is easy to install on an expedition, you might already even have the plastic bracket on the front of your AC condenser that the cooler snaps into. Your transmission temp is thermostatically controlled and only starts to send fluid through the cooler when the temp is around 185. With HD tow, and 6200 pounds behind my 17 in mountains up to 7k feet, my transmission temp has never gone above 210. Granted HD tow has 3.73 gears which helps though, you could just manually run in a lower gear to keep rpms up and not lug the turbo as much.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
HD Tow no longer includes 3.73 axles. At least not on the short wheelbase XLT trucks. They're a separate option. Used to include them, and they were limited slip as well, but not in 2017. No matter, the 3.31 axles and twin turbos make towing my 6000+ trailer with my '17 better than with my 5.4/3.73LS '07.

-- Chuck

Jim Johnson

Reaction score
I went with adding the integrated trailer brake and can't say I love it. I'll probably switch to aftermarket in the Fall.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went with adding the integrated trailer brake and can't say I love it. I'll probably switch to aftermarket in the Fall.
You would be the first person I have seen on this forum that did not like it. Couple threads on getting it dialed in and hooked up correctly. Are you having trouble with that? Look under the towing and hauling or Forscan sections. Or you can start your own thread and get direct help for the problem you are having.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I had the highly regarded Tekonsha Prodigy on my previous Expedition as it lacked the Ford controller or the ability to add one.

The Ford controller is every bit as capable as the Prodigy, has the ability to store settings for multiple trailers, and keeps track of the miles each trailer is hooked on to the truck something the Tekonsha had no ability to do. First time I hooked the new truck to the trailer the controller notified me I had a burned out tail light or signal on the trailer (I forget which). Yeah, right, the truck knows this? Yep it did.

-- Chuck

cjbuckeye

Reaction score
I had the highly regarded Tekonsha Prodigy on my previous Expedition as it lacked the Ford controller or the ability to add one.

The Ford controller is every bit as capable as the Prodigy, has the ability to store settings for multiple trailers, and keeps track of the miles each trailer is hooked on to the truck something the Tekonsha had no ability to do. First time I hooked the new truck to the trailer the controller notified me I had a burned out tail light or signal on the trailer (I forget which). Yeah, right, the truck knows this? Yep it did.

-- Chuck

I added the tekonsha to my 07, also recommend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Older Expeditions with 5.4L got a large radiator along with the auxiliary transmission cooler, 7 pin trailer wiring with break out behind the dash for brake controller and the 3.72 axle ratio. The radiator and transmission cooler are bolt on additions (the cooler does require a couple of hoses and brackets).

The big issue when towing with an Expedition is the PAYLOAD of the vehicle. Directly from page 28 of the Ford 2017 Trailer Towing Guide :

Trailer tongue load weight should be 10% of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduced by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue load weight and weight of passengers and cargo cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

A 6,000 lbs trailer should have a MIMIMUM of 600 lbs tongue weight and that could push you over the rear GAWR or GVWR.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
HD Tow no longer includes 3.73 axles. At least not on the short wheelbase XLT trucks. They're a separate option. Used to include them, and they were limited slip as well, but not in 2017. No matter, the 3.31 axles and twin turbos make towing my 6000+ trailer with my '17 better than with my 5.4/3.73LS '07.

-- Chuck
My 17 EL has 3.73s with the HD Tow. "3L"

Anchorclanker

Reaction score
My Expedition is an 08 with the standard tow package. I added the 7 pin connector for the camper as the wiring for the trailer brake was already there. The model year differences not withstanding, you should find a wire (blue I believe) capped off near your 4 pin connector. The only wire I had to install was for 12v power to the camper battery. There should be a tag unde your receiver stating the load limits with or without weight distribution.