Towing with Cruise Control on???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas Warden

Reaction score
I’ve posted this elsewhere on this site, but thought maybe I should have started a new thread:
Speaking of towing, I’m getting ready to tow my 28’ Jayco for the first road trip with my 2019 Expedition XLT. I have a good weight distribution hitch, but bringing it home from the Dealer, it seemed like my front end was “light” ( which is the only time I have towed it). Is this normal? Also another question; does anyone tow and use your Cruise Control?

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a good weight distribution hitch, but bringing it home from the Dealer, it seemed like my front end was “light” ( which is the only time I have towed it). Is this normal?
Just because you have a good weight distribution hitch, doesn't mean it's properly set up. How do you know if it's set up properly? With a CAT scale and the three-pass-method. That gets all your weights (truck, trailer, tongue, axles) and tells you exactly what your WDH is and is not doing. Get the weights and then make changes from there...

OP
OP
T

Thomas Warden

Reaction score
My WD Hitch was purchased at the same time my camper was from the RV Dealer, who installed it and set it up. I would think that they did it correctly being that they installed many of these same hitches every month, and they are a reputable dealer. However, I agree with what you have suggested. That will tell me if I really am light on the front end. Thanks for your input!

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My WD Hitch was purchased at the same time my camper was from the RV Dealer, who installed it and set it up. I would think that they did it correctly being that they installed many of these same hitches every month, and they are a reputable dealer. However, I agree with what you have suggested. That will tell me if I really am light on the front end. Thanks for your input!

You would think its right I agree. But I have bought 2 new trailers from a RV dealer and neither time have they set up the hitch properly. I had to do it myself both times.

Steve Heywood

Reaction score
90% of the WD hitches I see are incorrectly adjusted. Ford's own recommendation for adjustment are incorrect. Check out Can Am RV ( https://www.canamrv.ca/ ) and educate yourself.

OP
OP
T

Thomas Warden

Reaction score
Okay. I did as you suggested and read all the articles on hitches, and learned quite a bit. I also went to the website for the Manufacturer of my particular brand of hitch (Blue Ox to be specific, which seems to be a good reputable hitch system). They have a video on how to set up their brand of hitch, but don’t mention anything about the angle of the ball. I think I’m going to take the advice of one of the articles, and measure the four corners without the trailer and then with the trap to see where I am at exactly and proceed with any adjustments needed.

kkelly

Reaction score
You said you found it light on when the steers brining it home from the dealer.

Before going ahead and measuring the 4 corners etc, load your trailer to how you will normally use it, including propane water etc.as this will adjust how much weight sits on the pin.

Also pay attention to how the torsion bars are sitting as they should be close to level, not excessively turned up or down under load.

Blue ox is a quality brand and will function well for many years.

Enjoy your new trailer!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get it close at home but without going to the scales its pretty tough to know you have it right. At 28' I am guessing you are closer to the higher end of the tow rating and getting the hitch dialed in will be crucial. My trailer is at 5k max and even without the bars on it doesn't feel too bad. I am guessing you are more like 7500lbs and that will have quite a bit more tongue weight that what I have.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always advised against towing with cruise control until I got my ecoboost expedition. I think it might even be in the owners manual, or I've seen it said in manuals for other vehicles. If I'm on the highway and there aren't mountains to climb, I've used cruise control without issue. I usually lock out 6th gear as I get better mpg this way. I keep the transmission temp on the display and switch to engine Temps every now and then. My trailer weighs 6300 or round about when fully loaded and I often forget it's there. I have my hitch dialed in well, and the turbo motor is a real beast.