Towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17BearExpy

Reaction score
I just looked at this exact trailer this weekend! Need an upgrade from my current one (Forest River 26DJSE). Do you have the tow pkg on your expy?
The jayco is about 1000# heavier than mine which has me a bit leery without the HD tow pkg.
I’m looking into the transmission cooler upgrade regardless. Tranny was running hot on our last trip, and it was all flat.

I added the aux transmission cooler myself following tips from people on this forum. Must have for heavier towing with the Expedition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely add the aux transmission cooler if you aren’t doing the full HD tow package. The big climbs will definitely test your truck. Just take it easy on the steep grades.

Last edited:

MAC1

Reaction score
My 2016 with HD package tows my 24' ATC Enclosed Aluminum Trailer with the car in weighs 7,200 LBS and it is no problem. I had to switch to a Pro Pride hitch set up to properly deal with sway and wind loads, but once I did that no more issues.

IMG_0217 (3).jpg

ssmock

Reaction score
My 2014 Limited with HD tow package. Aluminum 22' v-nose car hauler 2,700 lbs, car weighs 3,200 labs and gear around 600 labs so about 6,500 labs. Still dialing in the weight control distribution hitch. Tows great but wish the 7 to 8 average mpg would be a little better. Truck has 110k miles, original factory plugs and coil packs. Only regular 5k oil change and annual air filter changes. Maybe time for a tune up and try a performance tune. A little afraid of messing something up with the tuners out there as I have never used one of those.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
7000 pounds easily meets my "One Ton Rule" which wants the trailer to weigh no more than 2000 pounds less than the maximum towing capacity of the vehicle for happy towing. Trailer frontal area is NOT a limitation, it's a consideration regarding fuel economy nothing more. The same notation shows for the F450... :)

Each generation of the Expedition improves the towing ability. The 6-speed transmission is very nice and the 10-speed even better. I bought a '17 with the 6-speed rather than wait a few months for the '18 as I wasn't going to give up the lever on the console for a knob of some sort. I can work the lever with my eyes closed.

-- Chuck

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry but asking a 5.4 question for towing... I have a 2011 EL XLT with no HD tow package. Have a WD hitch and am looking at a 23' camper that is 4300 lbs empty. Expedition can haul it OK? Thanks and appreciate any other thoughts or suggestions from those who have lugged campers around.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Page 24 of the 2011 Ford Towing Guide shows a 6000 pound maximum towing capacity without the HD Tow Option #536.

Your truck lacks any means to connect to the required trailer brakes -- the 4-pole connector is for UHauls and boat trailers, you need the round 7-pole connector which is on the right side of the hitch receiver.

Page 17 shows what you need. All parts are available at your local auto parts recycle shop (AKA junk yard).

-- Chuck

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Page 24 of the 2011 Ford Towing Guide shows a 6000 pound maximum towing capacity without the HD Tow Option #536.

Your truck lacks any means to connect to the required trailer brakes -- the 4-pole connector is for UHauls and boat trailers, you need the round 7-pole connector which is on the right side of the hitch receiver.

Page 17 shows what you need. All parts are available at your local auto parts recycle shop (AKA junk yard).

-- Chuck

Had never seen that Towing Guide before and so incredibly helpful Chuck. Many thanks to you.