Tpms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Norman swisher

Reaction score
I want to replace my TPMS sensors on my 2005 Ford Expedition. Depending on what auto parts store or online retailers I get different information. Ford dealerships carry them but the pricing is a bit steep and the counter guy can’t supply the operating frequency to me. My issue is that I can’t get a straight answer as to what frequency are the correct ones. Some say 433mhz and others 315mhz. My vin number is 1FMFU18505LA39497 MANUFACTURER DATE 10/04. Does anyone have a definitive answer for correct frequency? Thanks, Norman

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look for part tpms33. You will need an activator remote.

See attached images and Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFLD298/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_OsHgEb3YZQHJ7

Screenshot_20200111-132835_Chrome.jpg143681.jpg

Parts.ford.com will let you search for parts based on your Vin. When you called a dealer parts depot and gave your Vin, they gave you two answers or different dealerships gave conflicting answers..?

This is the activator tool.

JDIAG TPMS Sensor Tool for Ford TPMS Relearn Programming Training Tool Tire Pressure Monitor System Sensors Reset TPMS19 (8C2Z-1A203-A) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZKJ4TS1/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_IwHgEbDR31NG2

I would bank on this info as it came from Ford directly. I normally check ford etis. It gives you a build sheet based on the Vin. However, their site is not presenting the info correctly except with Microsoft internet explorer. So I can't check until I get back to a computer, this evening? How many dealers did you call? Perhaps one is wrong.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Norman swisher

Reaction score
Dealers couldn’t tell me which frequency only replacement part number. I would prefer to save a lot of money buying aftermarket part but need to know the frequency. Thanks for the Ford parts information I saw that already and they don’t tell you the frequency either.

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, they don't tell you the frequency, unfortunately. However, the aftermarket units are not priced much better than motorcraft units bought though Amazon or rockauto
I'll check your Vin with etis tonight.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I apologize, but I do understand your frustration. I too am finding similar discrepancies. None of these parts have listed operating frequencies.

- Ford parts offers only the bolt on sensor #TPMS33. (blue) This has part number stamped 5L1T-1A150-AC and listed as 5L1Z-1A150-AB
- Tasca Parts offers TPMPS #1,2(same p/n as TPMS33) ,42,47,60
- Rockauto offers a handful of bolt-on 315MHZ sensors, included a blue Motorcraft Sensor TPMS33
- This Ford TPMS Job Aid Says 2003-04 uses a blue Bolt on TPMS sensor and 2005 is a black one. I am not sure the difference between the two and if the conversion was done after 2004 or mid 2005. The job aid does not go into that kind of detail.
Link
- Dorman Products offers part 974-017 which is equivalent to 5L1Z-1A150-AA. Dorman indicates that is this is a 315MHz sensor
Link
- Dorman also offers part 974-302 which is a 433 MHz sensor.

I think your best best may be to find friendly tire shop. See if they can pop the bead on a tire so you can pull the part number of an existing one.

I couldn't begin to guess if they both are 315 MHz or are rated for different nominal pressures. I'll do some more research and get back.

Last edited:

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am lead to believe that are two different sensors from Motorcraft are different operating frequencies.I think we can disregard the others.

- Color - Black TPMS32 (Job Aid #2) - Part 4L2Z-1A150-BB - Used from 2002-06 - 433MHz -
- Equivalent Dorman 974-302
- Color - Blue TPMS33 (Job Aid #1) - Part 5L1Z-1A150-AB - Used from 2005-06 - 315Mhz
- Equivalent Dorman 974-017

I think the Job aid may also add conflicting info.

I think that maybe visiting a friendly tireshop to pop the tire bead and take a picture of the model number from from the existing sensor maybe best. From that you could infer what Frequency sensor you will need. I did read that Dorman 974-302 need a "special" activation tool. That be the same same as ford activation tool ore may be different all together. That I don't know.

Last edited: