Trailer brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

giraffenut

Reaction score
I have 2020 XLT Expy with HD tow package. The trailer brake controller only goes to 10. Is this true for you all? It barely stops trailer when testing it. It needs to be a bit higher. My old car had a controller that went up to 15 and I used it at 12 and worked well to stop the trailer testing it. My trailer is a 2020 Winnebago micro Minnie and weighs about 5000# loaded so not real heavy to stop. If the trailer was much heavier, am not sure it would stop with the controller on the Expy. Thank you for any thoughts on this.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@giraffenut , have you tried following the process in the owner's manual to adjust the gain of the brake controller? You should also be able to adjust trailer brake effort to set braking more aggressively if needed/ desired.

I'm not an expert here, but I'm guessing the issue isn't one device saying that it's going to 10 vs another going to 15. I'm thinking that may be like Spinal Tap convincing the world their amplifiers were louder than other bands because their volume knob went to 11...but I could be wrong. I haven't compared specs of various models of brake controllers.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The max setting is 10. Sounds like your other vehicle was scaled differently. Ford decided they wanted 1-10 vs 1-15. Assuming your trailer brakes are working correctly, what speed are you checking the brakes at? Perhaps you aren't moving fast enough. Here is what the manual says:

Note: The trailer brake controller reduces
output at vehicle speeds below 11 mph
(18 km/h) so that trailer and vehicle braking
is not jerky or harsh. This feature is only
available when applying the brakes using
your vehicle's brake pedal, not the
controller.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The numbers are meaningless across different controllers. If 10 or 15 or 37 isn't stopping your trailer the fault is the trailer brakes not the controller. When is the last time they were adjusted?

As the brake shoes wear they make less contact with the drums. This is especially evident with new brakes since the shoe profile won't match the drum until literally worn in at which time they need adjustment. Easy to adjust them for full contact. As the shoes wear more additional manual, physical adjustment will be necessary.

There are some secret setting for the brake controller to vary initial response (which I've never found).

-- Chuck

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To determine if you are driving too slow for the TBC to fully apply the brakes, use the manual slide button to apply the trailer brakes as you drive along, if it works well then, you are just going too slow for the vehicle to automatically apply the trailer brakes with the vehicle brakes.

d5VhlPKwuyDo21bojnRN_QrhMIHi2bi7N7QazQkdM&usqp=CAU.jpg

If it still does not work well, there is also a trailer brake effort setting that may help with your situation.

Trailer Brake Effort Setting
The trailer brake controller allows the user to customize how aggressively the trailer brakes engage. The default value is "Low" and is the recommended setting for most trailers. If your trailer's brakes require more initial voltage, or if you prefer more aggressive trailer braking, then select either the "Medium" or the "High" setting.

If neither of the above helps, do what others have suggested and physically check the trailers brake adjustment as well as the positive and ground cabling going to each wheel.

plankey

Reaction score
I have a 2018 expedition with the jd trailer package too. I have the same exact problem your having. And it doesn’t matter which trailer I use. I have set mine to high, and doesn’t make a difference. Would love to hear anymore suggestions.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Have you mechanically and manually adjusted the brakes on the trailer? All the brake controller does is send voltage back there and if the brakes are out of adjustment the brake shoes won't contact the drums -- this is all 1930s technology at the wheels.

You need a $4 special tool and a couple hours.

51CiOPdFhBL._AC_SL1425_.jpg

-- Chuck